Free hops and plants!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpatrol

Reaction score
I'm so stoked, the father in law went up to visit family in Oregon. Family members up there own a small vinyard and produce decent wine. Turns out they have a friend who has a hop farm down the road. Father in law told them I'm a homebrewer so they took him to go meet the hop grower friend. Ended up giving him packaged hops and 2 little plants for me. I picked them up yesterday. I got about 2 pounds of Cascades as well as a Cascade and Tettnang plant. Perfect early birthday gift. I have a tiny yard so I'll be container growing.

did you get actual transplanted plants? or rhizomes from which you will grow your plants?

I would be very interested to hear how transplanted hops will grow in a different environment and soil composition. However, I guess that is not much different than harvesting rhizomes and planting them somewhere else.

Congrats on your score, I would love to have 2 lbs of Cascades.

Cheers!

did you get actual transplanted plants? or rhizomes from which you will grow your plants?

I would be very interested to hear how transplanted hops will grow in a different environment and soil composition. However, I guess that is not much different than harvesting rhizomes and planting them somewhere else.

Congrats on your score, I would love to have 2 lbs of Cascades.

Cheers!

They are already in small plastic pots and have bines a foot long or more. 2 bines out of each. I'll be transplanting them to 20" pots tomorrow and going with the adjustable trellis like that in last months BYO mag.

happy birthday, i found 20" platic totes with the fake fope handles at lowes for $7.ea. I drilled some holes in the bottom and they seem to work fine. I also found some HUGE plastic planters for 45$ at the depot. like what you'd put a tree in. they nust be 32" across the opening and at least 36" tall. I believe I'll transplant to those in a year or when they outgrow the current homes. Maybe split the rhizomes and start the new ones in the 20" pots. good luck!

What in the...The title of this thread lead me to believe someone was GIVING away hops. Then I come in here to find that someone is relating a story about how THEY got free hops. Why not just title this thread "AH-HA I am going to make you all feel bad because I stumbled into good fortune and you did not"

What in the...The title of this thread lead me to believe someone was GIVING away hops. Then I come in here to find that someone is relating a story about how THEY got free hops. Why not just title this thread "AH-HA I am going to make you all feel bad because I stumbled into good fortune and you did not"

Calm down, dude! Your IBUs are off the charts!

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed by the thread title too, but come on, it's an honest mistake. No reason he purposely wanted to hurt our feelings.

Back