Free Goose Island Barrels!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait yeah which ones. Is it their Belgian line liek Sofie, or their bourbron county brand stout?

They've been used several times, most recently one was Lolita and the other one looks like it might've been Sofie. I think they were originally wine barrels and one of them still has a bunch of cherries in it. Sorry to be misleading @Psylocide

@hanuswalrus and @dcpcooks are gonna be part of this brew too. Just need to decide on a direction for the beer

Dude, Sofie is one of my favorites. Apparently they blend it 80/20 each year with 80% fresh new batch and the other 20% is last years aged in those barrels. Thats why it just barely has that tart brett character. truly a unique beer

Lambic for the sour barrel (cherries would have been Madame Rose, raspberries = Lolita, right?). Maybe a solera, depending on number of brewers involved. Then let people take their splits and either bottle straight or make their own variants (dry hop, age on fruit, etc).

Brett saison for the Sofie.

That's what I would do at least.

I recently tasted a soured stout that had no fruit in it whatsoever and yet tasted like cherries. Not sure what strain of bugs was used.

Do that in one of them. I have to go find that beer again... it kinda haunts me.

I bought a 4 pack of Old Rasputin recently, & one of them I'd swear was a bit sour. Idk, no fruitiness, just sour/bitter...

Update on this club project for anyone interested.. We're doing the primary for the base beer (that will eventually make it's way into the Goose barrels) in a 3 bbl vessel. The base beer is very simple, mostly pils w/ some flaked wheat. A portion of the club got together and brewed about 45 gallons this past sunday and there's still plenty more coming from other club members that couldn't make it on Sunday.

The 3BBL fermenter is bubbling away. We've got some happy, happy yeast in there

Another Update on this project... We racked the beer into the barrel and inoculated w/ ~7 gallons of a "sour starter" w/ raspberries that one of our club members was gracious enough to provide (he makes awesome sours). This along w/ the bugs that were already in the barrel are sure to make something tasty. Filled the barrel to the brim and it showed plenty of signs of re-fermentation for a couple weeks after filling. I'll update again when we pull a sample in a month or so.

Latest posts

Back