Free cooler (MLT) but there's a catch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reddy

Reaction score
I snagged a free chest cooler today. It was given to me because the spout's cap was loose and was leaking. Seeing as how I was planning to tear that out anyway, I jumped on it.

Here's the catch... in the bottom someone must have dropped a chunk of ice or something heavy and cracked the bottom. It's only an inch or two long, but I'd like to patch it so my brew water/wort does leak into the crack.

I was thinking some type of PVC type glue, but I hate to use something like that considering the toxicity and chemicals and all. Does anyone know a way to patch a crack like that?

I was also thinking duct tape, but somehow that doesn't seem food grade. :D

Well, I bought some PVC glue for "potable water pipes" so we'll see how that works. I also bought some tubing to rig up the cheapest MLT you've ever seen. I don't expect to be the best system in the world but....

My total build cost will be less that $10.00!

Keep in mind that PVC glue will only work on PVC (polyvinyl chloride).

Well, this glue was suitable for PVC or a couple other plastics. I tried it tonight. It seems to be working but it's going to take a couple applications to seal it up.

While I was waiting for it to dry I fabbed up a wort chiller. All-grain here I come!

Back