FREE 1 gallon glass jugs!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ownallogist

Reaction score
Hello HBT community!

I've been searching around for some 1 gallon jugs and noticed that my LHBS had them for $10 and a shop about 30 minutes away had them for $5. But then I did some reading and found that some grocery stores carry 1 gallon of apple juice in jugs so I thought..hey, why not? Get the jug AND some delicious apple juice/cider.

So I headed to The Fresh Market and lo and behold, they had the glass jugs of juice/cider for $8.99 - not bad! I pulled out my tape measure and started measuring the diameter of the jug (see how many would fit in mini fridge) and an employee approached me and asked, "Sir, what exactly are you doing?" I explained the nitty-gritty and he told me to wait right where I was and he'd be right back.

The dude comes back with 2 empty jugs of that same juice/cider and handed them to me. Apparently they have to sample a certain number of them when they come in and don't have any use for them when they're finished. At this point I'm like sweet! Now I can pay even less for the jugs (even though I'll miss out on drinking the juice/cider). I ask him how I should pay for them and he tells me not to worry about it and to give him a call Sunday because he might have more. SCORE!

Here is a picture of the particular brand

tl;dr: Find a grocery store that sells juice in glass jugs, see if they sample, and ask whether or not you could take them off their hands.

Yours brewly,
Ownallogist

They are great for splitting up batches to continue fermentation when you just want to cold-crash part of a batch for drinking.

The clear glass is not optimum, though. All of my glass jugs are brown - if the sunlight hits them for a while, no worries.

They are great for splitting up batches to continue fermentation when you just want to cold-crash part of a batch for drinking.

The clear glass is not optimum, though. All of my glass jugs are brown - if the sunlight hits them for a while, no worries.

Where do you find 1 gal brown glass?

Where do you find 1 gal brown glass?

In second-hand stores like the Red Cross, Salvation Army, etc. I find them from time to time, 2 litres, 4 litres, and 5 litres. It's worth buying them up if you can find them. 4 litres is just a half a beer more than 1 us gallon.

I have a batch of that fermenting. They use a #8.5 stopper FYI. I wish my Fresh Market would give me a few freebies. :)

Latest posts

Back