Four Quarters IIPA Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatDragon

Not actually a dragon.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm planning a split IIPA batch in a week or two, and I'd like some advice on hops.

I'll be mashing and then doing a 90-minute boil down to 4 gallons (target OG ~1.085-1.090), then transferring the wort at boiling or near-boiling temps to four 5L PP buckets, each with a hop bag. Each batch will have the same FWH/Bittering addition and get its own flavor and aroma from a whirlpool/steep addition in the bucket, then from a dry-hop later on.

The base recipe is mostly 2-row, with about a pound of wheat and 10 oz of C60; no sugar because I like a slightly syrupy IIPA.

My hops in hand are roughly as follows:

~300g/11 oz Cascade
~150g/5 oz each Simcoe, Citra, Chinook
~100g/3.5 oz each Amarillo, Zeus (CTZ), Centennial

So on with the questions:

1) Should I go FWH or regular bittering hops in the boil? Chinook or Zeus?

2) I'd love some suggestions for hops in the individual gallons, both steep/whirlpool and dry. I'm still pretty new, my previous IPA experience was a hop-bursted Mosaic IPA (meh - not well-balanced, as you might expect) and a Chinook-bittered, Cascade/Simcoe/Citra IIPA (really liked it), so I've got a lot to learn yet.

3) Any concerns that the technique I describe above will fall flat or be otherwise problematic? PP is supposed to be heat-resistant to the mid 130's Celsius in its lowest quality, up to the 180's with high-quality stuff, but I wonder if temps between 95 and 100 might still cause chemicals to leach or softening of the bucket walls. I'm also only about 80% confident that this pour-over hopbursting technique will work well.

4) My current names are 25 Cent, 15 Minute, 90 Degree, and 3 Month... I'm least satisfied with the "3 Month" label for the fourth variant. Any suggestions for a better name that is synonymous with a quarter?

Edit -
5) Also, what do folks think about splitting the 500g wheat malt between regular wheat malt and roasted 90L wheat malt?

Here's where I'm currently leaning, though most of this is guesswork thanks to my inexperience.

Adding 60 grams of Black Patent for a red color, grainbill is otherwise unchanged. Still not sure between Chinook and Zeus (CTZ) for bittering.

Hop schedules are all 1oz whirlpool, 1oz dry, split evenly between the varieties in question.

A - Cascade and Amarillo
B - Simcoe and Citra
C - Chinook and CTZ
D - All-Centennial

Thoughts?

One more bump:

Hops available are Simcoe, Centennial, Amarillo, Cascade, Chinook, Citra, and Zeus (CTZ).

I'm boiling and bittering together, then whirlpool hop-bursting and then dry-hopping four one-gallon IIPA batches separately. Does anybody have any suggestions for hop recipes to try? The four recipes I suggested in the second post all came straight out of thin air and have little to do with experience, so I'd love some input from somebody who has more experience than me.

Back