Found the leak!!!! Suggestion included...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepfat

Reaction score
Found the dreaded gas leak that drained a full 15lb bottle in 2 days. It happened to be a loose barb on the gas quick connect.

I used a small paintbrush and my son's bottle of bubble blowing soap. It was the perfect ratio and I found the small leak within 5 minutes.

I think you can buy the stuff at your local dollar store for pennies.

Happy brewing!

As long as you don't have beer in there, so you don't risk contamination/off flavors. Make sure you spray that down with some starsan or something! Glad you found the leak, sorry bout your flatulence :)

As long as you don't have beer in there, so you don't risk contamination/off flavors. Make sure you spray that down with some starsan or something! :)

Not relevant. Since the system is under pressure any leak will force the soap out and away from the beer, not let it in to contaminate it.

The only risk of contamination using soap to find leaks is if you let the system depressurize and the leak was large enough to remain 'open' when the system was not under pressure AND some other environmental change occurs to cause the soap to get sucked into the system.

Not likely.

Deepfat,
I am so glad you found the leak. May your next tank last till the end of summer!

Deepfat,
I am so glad you found the leak. May your next tank last till the end of summer!

I am glad, too, but a 15 lb-er had better last longer than that. Mine is only a 5-er and it lasts about 6 months.

Oh, and your soap solution is the correct way to find any air leak- good job!

Back