Found Pepsi in Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DieterVonBrauhaus

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently acquired a keg, sealed tight with a Pepsi seal and it it still full of Pepsi. Here is the problem, the date on the Pepsi seal states 1987.

Now I know thats old but the seal is tightly on there. So I dont think any air got inside.

Do you think there is a chance that it might still be good?

:confused:

i dont know. seems like it would taste nasty if it had something wrong with it. me and some friends were cleaning out a warehouse one day and found like 4 palates of old soda. cream soda, root beer, something else maybe cola. didnt have dates just in old dusty glass bottles. we drank the **** out of it for like a month and no one got sick. just sayin. if you dont want it ill drink it

The flavor might be off, but it's not going to kill you.
If it was sealed, nothing got in to spoil it. If it wasn't sealed, then it probably would have leaked out by now.

I found some diet pepsi cans that were a few years old. When I poured one it had lost most of it's color, and didn't have much more flavor than carbonated water. I didn't look at the bottom of the can to see if anything settled.

Half of my kegs had old soda in them. I guess Pepsi must have filled them and when they didn't hold pressure they junked them, didn't bother the trouble with empting them. And most of them were sealed. I would bet that they are full but have not had pressure on it since the day it was filled.

I didn't try any of mine, so I can't say if it was still good.

My kegs had sat in a barn for over 10 years when I bought them.
They were still under pressure, and had some small amount of soda left in them. I didn't taste any, but they still smelled sweet (and not spoiled).

I had a pin lock keg given to me by my father who acquired it unlawfully over 30 years old. It was still fully pressurized and I opened it about a month ago. It had sprite/7 Up or Ginger ale. It smelled very stale as I was sprayed all over with it when I pushed on the gas in popit. I did NOT drink it.

Rich

aren't they filled with soda syrup, not soda?

EDIT: Sorry, just realized this was the soda making thread, not general chit chat.

aren't they filled with soda syrup, not soda?

EDIT: Sorry, just realized this was the soda making thread, not general chit chat.
Older ones were filled with the same product that got bottled. Newer systems that still use kegs (they are around, despite the rumors you hear on here, I know of several in my area) are filled with syrup because most dispensers are designed for BIB systems now. The concept is identical though, CO2 is just used to push in keg systems as opposed to being used to purge BIB systems.

Whats cool about this is, it not only has the date on there, but a Pepsi tag that has all the ingredients on it and on there it shows sugar..not high fructose corn syrup. The keg has a plastic tie wrap sealing the whole thing with Pepsi stamped on it. So I know it has not been opened.

Because it has the ingredient tag I can tell it is actually filled with soda not the syrup

damn. did you drink it yet or what? this thread is almost a month old. i'm gonna have to make a new one that says " so i found this month old thread... should i post on it?"

(just kidding, but really did you drink it?)

damn. did you drink it yet or what? this thread is almost a month old. i'm gonna have to make a new one that says " so i found this month old thread... should i post on it?"

(just kidding, but really did you drink it?)

Not yet, I still am waiting on a fridge I am getting from a friend which should be tomorrow. I will keep you all posted once I get the fridge and cool it down.

LOL, I bet it will be sour. :cross:

So to close out this thread, let me tell you my bad experience. I had the pepsi keg in the fridge for about a week and I finally emptied my beer so I moved the gas line to the pesi keg. I hit the pepsi keg with about 20psi, and purged it. Did that three times. I then hit the keg with 30 psi and was going to let it sit for about six hours that way and then lower it to 8 psi.
Will I was cleaning the beer keg, I went to shoot some cleaning solutions through the tap line from the cleaning keg and put gas on the cleaning keg and the solution went dark through the tap. I was like wtf. So I bled the line on the regulator and found pepsi running the the gas lines. Again, WTF.
So I had to turn off the gas, remove the regulator, took that apart, took the lines apart, took the connectors off and cleaned everything.
I then tried the the pepsi and had a acidy taste, so I just dumped. I was so pissed that I got pepsi in the gas side I didn't freakin care.
Anyway when I dumped it, like I said, it was a very full keg, never opened. But the syrup was very thick, smelled ok but taste was acidy.
Maybe I was hasty, but I was a pissed hasty person who didn't like to clean the reg and gas lines like that.:mad:

Oh well maybe I can get a soda kit and make my own stuff. LOL!:confused::eek:

Back