found a Beverage-Air BM23

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timboosh

Reaction score
:ban:

Perusing the local craigslist looking for a kegerator... came across a used Beverage Air BM23 for a pretty reasonable deal (at least I think/hope so...)

Comes with a handfull of tap handles and a 20# CO2 tank (that's actually still mostly full). I'm sure the tank will need to be tested prior to the next refill, but that's no biggie. It's had the air line run to the outside of the unit already too, so I should be able to get 4 cornys in it.

I checked it out and it seems like the door is nice and square and the seals ok. More than anything it looks like it just needs to be cleaned a bit and lines replaced - which I'd "have to" do to use Corneys anyway...

Bad side is it's missing the cap to the tower (which I'll be replacing with a dual faucet at some point anyway), and the glass rails (oh well).

The guy said he hasn't used it in 3-4 years, and it wasn't plugged in when I went over, so... here's to hoping that the compressor and electronics are all still in good working order. *crosses fingers* - FWIW, he said it worked fine the last time he used it and he seems like an honest guy. He happily offered to deliver it for me, and help me get it into my place since I don't have a good way to move it, and even had no problem with keeping it for a few days, and refused my offer of a deposit.

... all for $250!!! Thought that was alright. Heck, that's what it would cost me convert a fridge/freezer bought off CL...

Thoughts? I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty darn excited about it...

I'd have him plug it up and insure it cools before throwing down your cold hard cash. After that, be very excited. ;)

I picked up a 2 door, 2 tower kegger for around $70 from a local bar that claimed to be having problems with it freezing their lines. My only complaint is that its loud when it's cooling. It works great for my purposes (this ones on the main floor, use it for parties). I really should check it all out, if there is anything wrong with it I'm sure it's a simple thermometer replacement or something silly. I've been using an OLD 20 lb CO2 tank for a few years now.... what are the chances of some kind of catastrophic failure etc? Is getting it tested expensive?

So, I had the guy plug the kegerator in overnight and when I got there, it was running like a champ. There was a little bit of condensation on the back, and a little bit inside (explains the minor rust inside in the corners.), so I'm going to go through and seal it up a little better... around the CO2 line and door in-particular. So- clean her up, new lines (already have) seal it up a little bit mo' bettah', put a dual faucet tower on it, and she'll be rockin'!!! :rockin:

I've been using an OLD 20 lb CO2 tank for a few years now.... what are the chances of some kind of catastrophic failure etc? Is getting it tested expensive?

depending on how old is "old" - 5-10-15 years, I really wouldn't worry about it too much. 50 years and I think I'd be looking to replace it. That said, I don't know that I'd be inclined to leave it in a hot car or anything, as the burst valve would probably go if it's at all fatigued (it's supposed to do that). From what I gather, a hydro test should be under $30, and you should be able to get the tank filled for pretty cheap.... if you're worried about it. If not, just use it till it's empty and exchange it somewhere if you can.

$250??? That is a STEAL, even if it requires a little TLC. I just bought a 69" Beverage air (no beer tower....YET) and I absolutely love it. It fits all 12 of my kegs and conical, no problem. That ran me about $1900 brand new. You got a great deal.

I picked up a 2 door, 2 tower kegger for around $70 from a local bar that claimed to be having problems with it freezing their lines. My only complaint is that its loud when it's cooling. It works great for my purposes (this ones on the main floor, use it for parties). I really should check it all out, if there is anything wrong with it I'm sure it's a simple thermometer replacement or something silly. I've been using an OLD 20 lb CO2 tank for a few years now.... what are the chances of some kind of catastrophic failure etc? Is getting it tested expensive?

Slim to none - Those tanks are rated at MANY times the pressure they experience in service.

If it's expired, just take it somewhere that exchanges tanks, instead of having it filled ;)

Nice buy...I have the same unit and bought it for $200 on CL. Do you have a picture of where they ran the CO2 line out of the unit? I was thinking about doing that to mine if there was a clean place to do so.

Nice buy...I have the same unit and bought it for $200 on CL. Do you have a picture of where they ran the CO2 line out of the unit? I was thinking about doing that to mine if there was a clean place to do so.

I'll see what I can do - It's basically on the right side wall (when looking at the front) that the very back, just above the little compressor hump down in the corner. Looks like they just drilled a hole large enough to feed the CO2 line through. Nothing special (part of why I want to seal it up better).

I just bought a SS one of these on CL for a good price as well and love it. I have it in the basement and it runs a bit loud but nothing crazy.

My one piece of advice is be very, very careful moving them. DO NOT LAY IT DOWN ON ITS SIDE OR BACK IN A CAR OR TRUCK, MOVE IT UPRIGHT ONLY.

I laid mine down on its back and the oil filter got jammed and all the freon leaked out and I had to have it serviced for just about what I paid for it, not a cheap deal overall. And none of the commercial HVAC places will service one in your home, you have to find someone who used to work for a commercial place or knows refrigerators well.

You can check the build date on the inside or back, I forget exactly where it is stamped.

Also worth mentioning, the interior circulation fan on mine was noisy (it is an older unit) so I took it out and "re-packed" the packing material (aka-shaft bearing) with white lithium grease and it has worked perfect ever since. In the process of pulling the fan panel off I pulled the capillary tube thermostat too far and broke the copper capillary tubing, this ruined the thermostat. I found a replacement online from a restaurant equipment vendor for $25 or so shipped...which was a nice surprise I thought I was screwed. I swapped the tower from a single to a double brass tower also...much better.

.... upright only eh?.... I'm pretty damn sure I tipped that sucker on it's side when I put it into the bed of my pickup, I probably whacked something out of place! For now it keeps working, so I'm crossing my fingers! Kind of interested in repacking the fan, hhmmm. I know when mine is cooling it is a loud mofo, once it hits temp it's pretty quiet. Though it does seem to cycle a bit.

The reason I repacked the fan motor is because it was screeching to a halt...sounded like ball bearings without any type of lubricant. The fan motor would speed up and then make a loud (way louder than the compressor) screech sound of the motor coming to a stop and then start up again. My BM-23 is an older model (brown painted exterior)...but still works fine so I use it. Also...if interested I emailed True refrigeration and asked about their energy usage on their single unit (see TDD-1) he replied with 1.8KWh/day...mind clocks in at around 2KWh/day (I could check my data for an exact number but I think it was only slightly higher).

Back