Formulation Recipe plus Maltodextrin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incoerenza86

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Your opinion appreciated here.

In few weeks I want to give it a go with a recipe that a friend of mine tested (now he`s travelling in Asia for the next couple of months so no point of disturbing him for clarification) and turned out to be pretty good according to him, the MALTS (both dried, liquid or generic) below are getting along to each other or is it too much?

5.4 lbs Maris Otter
1lbs Crystal 60
3.3 lbs Coopers LME Amber
2lbs Light DME

Plus, I would like to add 3oz of Maltodextrin, I have read i can use 3oz 15` to end of boil, my question is it ok the Maltodextrin powder for example they sell in Gym shop or similar? It is written 100% maltodextrin powder...

Thanks for your help!

Cheers

I assume you are doing a partial mash? Why not get it with the rest of the ingredients, can you get it cheaper there? For what it's worth they should be the same thing, but you are likely to get it cheaper at a brew store I would think. Are you just trying to add some mouthfeel to it?

Your recipe puts you around 1.07, so that's a fairly big beer. Do you plan on a starter for the yeast if you have liquid? I would recommend it. What is your hop schedule? A pound of Crystal I believe is a bit much, but may depend on what style you are trying to make, so what are you shooting for?

I assume you are doing a partial mash? Why not get it with the rest of the ingredients, can you get it cheaper there? For what it's worth they should be the same thing, but you are likely to get it cheaper at a brew store I would think. Are you just trying to add some mouthfeel to it?

Your recipe puts you around 1.07, so that's a fairly big beer. Do you plan on a starter for the yeast if you have liquid? I would recommend it. What is your hop schedule? A pound of Crystal I believe is a bit much, but may depend on what style you are trying to make, so what are you shooting for?

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I am doing a partial mash, I live in UK my LHBS does not have it but it is fairly common in gym store etc within a reasonable price for big quantity (2lbs around 5$) I am trying to add a bit more thickness to the head, mouthfeel should be good with DM as tried before.

Yeast: I am thinking either S05 or a Wyeast California Ale, still have not decided here.
Hops: 60' .5 oz Magnum or Centennial, 30' 1oz Perle, 10' 1oz Cascade, 0' 2oz Cascade.

The Crystal might be a bit much but for this particular Pale Ale that I am trying to achieve is strongly advised (at least that is what my friend used) and personally I love Crystal or better defined profile in beers.

What do you think?

Back