Formulating Birch Saison Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mystikhybrid

Reaction score
So my and a few friends are trying our second attempt at a birch infused beer. Last year we did a wit using birch bark and a gallon of sap (not syrup). It was good, won honorable mention in competition, but we and the judges didnt think it was the best suited style for the unique birch flavor.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/129084/spice-beer-birch-ale

We are planning to collect a full 10 gallons this year, and want nail this attempt! :ban:

After recently tasting various styles using drops of artificial birch flavoring, we all found that saison was the best match. Funny thing is, we dont usually dig saisons unless super restrained (I liked Colette from Great Divide). Can anyone recommend a yeast and or process that leads to lighter 'saison style' flavors?

OK since the app on my new droid RAZR keeps losing my posts if I take too long when writing them here is the short version after trying 3 times:

-Plan to collect birch next year but only maple these last couple.

- I recommended boiling 3 gallons of sap down for every gallon you want to work with

- I would try using Belle Saison fermented at 65 and waiting til the last day or 2 of active ferment to ramp temp up to 85. This should give you fairly restrained saison character.

- Remember that birch flavoring will be far stronger in flavor than using sap and syrup.

I have been doing a few 1 gallon partial mash and extract recipes with maple sap and they have been coming out great.

I will say that I think using 9oz total birch bark might be a bit much in my opinion. But do keep us updated on how this turns out.

I am curious why they don't replace some of the molasses with birch syrup

Latest posts

Back