Forgotten Carboy, Dry Airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clurin

Reaction score
I was cleaning my basement today, and came across an old 1 gallon jug with a dry airlock on top of it, with a gallon or so of a cidery looking liquid inside. After some thought, I remembered that I had tried to make a 1 gallon batch of hard cider a very long time ago. Feeling somewhat sad that I had forgotten this side project, I popped the airlock off and to my great surprise, it still smells like alcohol (and cider). Actually, it smells quite good.

I know that this has probably been down there for a couple years. I don't know how long the airlock has been dry (it's a three piece style). My question is, if the cider still smells like cider, and not vinegar, or any other nasty thing, is it dangerous to taste it? I can't imagine if it smells like alcohol that anything could be growing in it (it is quite clear and free of any detritus). It has obviously not become vinegar. Is there anything else I could be missing that I can't smell or see that could be dangerous?

Thanks for any thoughts!

If it smells good and tastes good then I'd drink it. No mold or anything? I'd totally drink it all...tonight.

Nope, no mold. Can't guarantee no spores, but nothing actually growing.

Back