Forgot to take FG reading. Anything I can do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nigel31

Reaction score
Hi,

I was helping a friend bottle his first brew recently and got distracted, forgetting to take a final gravity (FG) reading. Boooooooo.

Would degassing a bottle and pouring it into a hydrometer test jar work for a semi-accurate reading at this stage? If not, is there some other way to get him a good-enough FG reading so we can calculate the ABV?

Thanks.

Yeah, okay, we're not worried about it or anything; he's just curious--for curiosity's sake, as it's his very first brew--what the ABV is, and I was wondering if taking a degassed reading would be accurate enough. Tanks fer nuttin'. :D

Relax dont worry have a homebrew. Nigel degassing would probably work. would never be totally right cause of the priming sugar and all. but go for it. if nothing else u get to drink more samples.

tchuklobrau said:
never be totally right cause of the priming sugar and all. but go for it. if nothing else u get to drink more samples.

I've done this. Priming sugar will have increased the ABV by a fraction of a percent - maybe .3 to .6 depending on how much you added. So take the OG and the FG from your bottle work out the ABV and then add on a correcting .5 or so.

I always found this confusing on kits when they quote the estimated ABV on the pack. Could never get that number from my SG readings until I saw a hint on this forum about the little extra alcohol created by the bottling/kegging sugar.

To figure out how many points the priming sugar added to the gravity:

(Amount of sugar in pounds) x 46
Divided by (volume of batch in gallons)

Typically, priming sugar will raise your gravity by 2-3 points. If you figure out exactly how much, you can determine what your FG was before adding the priming sugar (assuming you just bottled).

The net difference from the sugar after the bottle is carbed should be negligible. The increase to OG is already very minimal and sugar is 100% fermentable so you could probably just take the de-gassed FG at its value.

Back