Forgot to check OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humpadilo

Reaction score
I forgot to check the OG before I pitched the yeast. I am currently out of the house. How much of a difference will it be if I check the OG about 4 hours after I pitched the yeast?

It usually isn't a very good idea to mess with a brew once primary fermentation has commenced. You could either sterilize everything extremely well and then dump the sample back in and hope for the best, or just toss the sample. Just be careful. Watch for contamination like a hawk.

If you check the gravity 4 hours after pitching the yeast, it might be the OG or it might be less than the OG (if fermentation has started). Either way, you will not know what the true OG was, and it will make no difference to the outcome whether or not you take a gravity reading.
If it is an extract batch, and you got the right volume in the fermenter, then you can believe the stated OG in the kit instructions and not run the risk of screwing up the batch by taking unnecessary readings..

-a.

no real reason to take an OG now except to determine a guestimate ABV. FG readings later would determine completed fermentation. I wouldn't be afraid to do it though, just be quick and clean and your chances of contamination are slim.

What are you brewing in? I use a bucket with a spigot just in case I need to take a sample.

If it is an extract batch, and you got the right volume in the fermenter, then you can believe the stated OG in the kit instructions

FG readings later would determine completed fermentation

agree with both ajf and darrenbrews

as long as you hit your volumes, there is no way to NOT hit OG with extract, so just go with what the kit says it should be

in a week to 10 days, take a couple readings a day or two apart and if they match, you can bottle at any time after that.

it would be best just to wait 2 or 3 weeks, take a reading and bottle. if you can wait that long. if it's your first, or one of your first batches, no one will fault you for not waiting. it's understandable.

Thanks guys. I have only done a few brews. Yes this is an extract. I was wanting to know the ABV but I guess with extract brews the FG is what's important. I haven't really been using my hydrometer but I was wanting to start keeping up with the numbers. My other brews have come out good.

Back