Forgot to add LME... Ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Codyl74

Reaction score
This is my first batch. I opened the ingredient box in a separate room and left the can of LME Amber malt and come time to add extracts I thought I added it all, but forgot the LME amber malt. My OG was low 1.030-1.035 before pitching.

I walked in the room where I left the can of LME and my stomach dropped... glad I saw it only an hour after starting the fermenting.

Here is the kit i used.
Brewers Best English Brown ale.
http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/New BB Recipes/1016 English Brown Ale Recipe.pdf

Toss it??

No, let it finish. You basically made a mild ale. Probably a hoppy mild ale, but you are making beer!

How long has it been fermenting? If it's early in the process, I would try and figure a way to get it in. Even just dumping it in, the yeast will probably churn it up and mix it in well enough. Or you could mix it with a pint of boiled water to help the process along.

Good luck!

You could heat it to 160F with some water and add it to the beer. If it's only been a day or two that will probably work out fine. Otherwise, just drink the beer you made. You could also just dump it into the beer and get good results, just sanitize the outside of the can first.

Considering you omitted 3lbs of LME and still got 1.035, I would say not all is lost.
You could make a little wort out of it on the stove top and dump it in the fermenter.
Or you could just have a mild brown ale.
But please don't dump it.

One thing with that kit, make sure to let it bottle condition for 2+ weeks.
After the 1st week, it will be carbonated, but the caramel/nut flavor is pretty overwhelming.
That was the first extract kit I ever brewed.

My idea may be dumb but if you have an LBK from an old Mr. Beer kit or something similar you could make a smaller batch, 2.5 gal or so. Just go buy some yeast and some hops to add to the boil and you can make a seperate batch. This way you don't risk flavor or contamination in a 5 gal batch of beer.

Considering you omitted 3lbs of LME and still got 1.035, I would say not all is lost.
You could make a little wort out of it on the stove top and dump it in the fermenter.
Or you could just have a mild brown ale.
But please don't dump it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

This. +1

Might be a good idea to boil a couple of quarts of water, add the LME and then cool it down, as close as you can easily, to the same temp as your brew is at the moment and, very carefully, add it. If you have an auto syphon that'd probably be the best way to introduce it. Just make sure you meticulously sanitize anything that touches the brew.

If not, you'll have made a sessionable brown ale that might not knock your socks off, in the ABV department, but should still be an enjoyable, first, brew.:tank:

If not, you'll have made a sessionable brown ale that might not knock your socks off, in the ABV department, but should still be an enjoyable, first, brew.:tank:

How would less LME increase ABV? If the OP decided to not add the LME wouldn't that lower the ABV?

Boil it up on the stove in a little water cool it off to 64 degrees and pour it in. The little yeasties will get real happy about the latest
addition to their party.

Thanks a lot everyone. I am boiling the LME right now and adding to batch as soon as it cools. This first brew is definitely a learning experience.

Boil it up on the stove in a little water cool it off to 64 degrees and pour it in. The little yeasties will get real happy about the latest
addition to their party.

^^ +1. Glad this was the advice you followed. If it was later into the fermentation (i.e. weeks later) I would recommend leaving it out.

Back