Forgot to add bettering hops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sayvillebrew

Reaction score
Hi all...I made a big mistake and forgot to add 2 oz of battering hops to my Amber Ale. I noticed when I added my flameout hops. After yelling a few expletives...I tossed the 2 oz I forgot in and began the cooling process.

My gut tells me to RDWHAHB....which I did of course...but my question is, would you just leave it and have a "New England Amber" or try to get cute with a hop tea?

What are your thoughts?

Cheers!

Hi all...I made a big mistake and forgot to add 2 oz of battering hops to my Amber Ale. I noticed when I added my flameout hops. After yelling a few expletives...I tossed the 2 oz I forgot in and began the cooling process.

My gut tells me to RDWHAHB....which I did of course...but my question is, would you just leave it and have a "New England Amber" or try to get cute with a hop tea?

What are your thoughts?

Cheers!

Maybe decide after trying it. It seems to me that some beer drinkers have more distaste for beers that they say taste sweet. I don’t and maybe that’s why it stands out to me when someone points out the perceived sweetness.

If you taste it post fermentation, you can add bitterness by boiling hops (the hop tea method you mentioned) and strain through a coffee filter. I use a French press and find it really easy and practical. I usually use this for adding hop flavor (170 stand in hot water) more than bitterness, but I’ve done that too. From tasting, I think the utilization seems lower (maybe the solubility is lower in a small volume of liquid..?).

"For Bitter or for Worse Amber Ale"

"Cupcake Bitter Amber Ale"

A cool name will make it taste better according to marketing theory ...

Back