Forgive me for thinking this is awesome/Brewing in cold weather.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't truly know what heat and humidity is until you spend a summer in Houston, TX where I grew up.

That said I prefer humid summers to cold winters any day. Here in VA it can get into the teens some nights in January but usually it's only around 30 at night in dead winter. Plenty of nice 50-60 degree days for brewing even in January. I do appreciate the colder groundwater helping my wort chiller out!

Sorry, both Dubai and Basrah, Iraq have you beat. Any place where the air condenses on you like an ice tea glass in Georgia when you leave the hotel...that is hot and humid.

I brewed last Saturday in up state New York when it was 12 degrees outside. It all went very well. 2 days prior it was 4 degrees and we BBQd a prime rib roast outside. Where there's a will....

Rick

The only thing better then brewing in the cold is snapper sandwiches

I brewed last Saturday in up state New York when it was 12 degrees outside. It all went very well. 2 days prior it was 4 degrees and we BBQd a prime rib roast outside. Where there's a will....
Rick

that's just nasty cold. i don't like to brew if it's less than 40. there's very little will when it's that cold :eek: i salute your dedication for brewing at 12 degrees

Spokane brewer. I have to watch the forecast all winter long in search of a day when it's at least a high of 36. Just got my first winter batch in on tue. Weeks of below freezing, to well below freezing finally gave way. Definitely poses challenges. Had to heat strike water 25 degrees higher than target mash temp.

I think I had a high of 16°. It really sucked when the sun went down though...dropped to zero or lower soooo quick! Just in time to chill and clean. FML... I'll brew inside the rest of the winter I think. Does make chilling a breeze though!

ForumRunner_20131219_225317.jpg

ForumRunner_20131219_225342.jpg

Back