Forgetful in my mid-life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scurry64

Reaction score
I brewed a sweet stout about 36 hours ago. I forgot to add Irish moss and yeast nutrients during the boil. Is it too late to boil a cup of H2O, add both and then add the concoction to the fermenter now?

Don't worry. In another 36 hours you will forget you asked this and your beer will still be absolutely fine.

Don't add anything.

Adding Irish moss now is a complete waste of time. It needs to be boiled with the wort to work. Besides which, how will you be able to tell if a stout is clear or not?
As for the yeast nutrients, any good beer has all the nutrients it needs supplied by the ingredients. I use yeast nutrients for starters, but I don't think I've ever used them for beer.

-a.

I pretty much quit using Irish Moss cause I couldn't remember to use it.

I have never used nutrient in beermaking. My yeast seem happy enough without it.

I almost always add my yeast nutrient to the primary with no I'll effects. Some may say that is gambling and that would be a true statement, however I think there are bigger thing to worry about when sanitizing then a tiny bit of yeast nutrient. I have been wrong before however!!!

just my 2 cents. :eek:

The Irish moss needs to be boiled to pull the proteins together and get a good cold break. No use using it now. Yeast nutrient? Can't hurt but not necessary..

If you are worried about clarity in the final brew you could use some..l, crap, all I can think of is the word jello.. Gelatin? It seems to help some people, never tried myself. If you have the ability to cold crash that works just as well, and if you don't have the means to cold crash time works perfectly well. Just have to be a little patient.

wilserbrewer said:
cliche but appropriate...RDWHAHB

You picked two perfect things to forget...just hoping there weren't others....

Nothing else. Overall if was a great brew day. I hit 92.5% efficiency, it looked and smelled great, fermentation started less than 5 hours after pitching the yeast. I could only be happier if I remembered the additives. :p

Yea, irish moss really isn't necessary for a stout- it just helps to get clear beer, and how can you tell if your stout is clear? Anyway, it needs to be boiled in the beer to work. As for yeast nutrient, clearly your yeast are happy as they took right off. No need!

Back