Forced Carbonation: CO2 in Solution Over Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had some questions about CO2 in solution that I hope someone can answer for me as I am new to forced carbonation. I'm going to think while I type so hopefully it doesn't get too convoluted.

I had a brewer give me these numbers for carb'ing a Kolsch, assuming I just let the keg stand in place.

74 degrees @ 32 psi - 1 week (2.5 volumes co2)
40 degrees @ 13 psi - 1 week (2.5 volumes co2)

1. After one week is the beer at equilibrium at either pressure/temperature combination and no more CO2 is going into solution?
2. Are these pressure temperature combinations designed so that the equilibrium you reach is not necessarily the 2.5 volumes I listed above, but rather in a state so that when they're refrigerated for serving they'll reach that?
3. What temperature should my kegerator be when I'm planning to serve?

The numbers he gave you are right. 2.5 volumes is 2.5 volumes. That refers to how much CO2 dissolves into the beer. The colder the beer, the more CO2 it can absorb. Seving temp depends on your preference. Between 40-50 somewhere would be fine.

I would decide what temp you want to serve your beer at first, then use this chart to set the pressure. Carb the beer at serving temp for 1-2 weeks and you won't have to mess around with resetting the temp/pressure when you're ready to dispense.

Maybe a dumb question, but why would you be carbing at 74 degrees? No room in the kegerator?

Back