force co2 out of fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridd

Reaction score
Hi, first time poster. Been browsing the forums a month or so, made a tasty batch of brown ale, making a Hefe and some Apfelwein currently. thing is the lid has a lot of pressure on it, when i push down slightly the bubbler goes crazy, so obviously there's a lot of co2 built up.

my question is, would it affect the fermentation process if i lift the lid and release the co2? should i just install a blowoff instead? sorry if this has been addressed before, i spent a good hour searching but couldn't find exactly what i was looking for. thanks.

Don't do it - the airlock is supposed to release any excess pressure, and if you let all that CO2 out, air will replace it. Oxygen is not a good thing for fermented beer, it will stay fresher with a nice CO2 blanket protecting it.

A blowoff is helpful during the most active part of the fermentation, when the krausen can clog up the airlock and cause too much pressure in the fermenter. Your pressing on the lid doesn't prove anything other than the fact that your yeasts are doing what they're supposed to - making alcohol and CO2.

Welcome to HBT! Hope you find the forum helpful and enjoyable.

If pushing the lid makes your airlock bubble, then it seems your airlock is working properly. Don't open the fermenter. Co2 is your friend.

Thanks guys, I wasn't sure. It makes sense, the Co2 buildup means the yeast is still active and doing it's job. Glad to be a part of the community, reading everyone's experiences here has saved me a LOT of the trial and error I'd otherwise go through.

Just remember C02 buildup doesn't always mean active fermentation. C02 dissolves into the beer during fermentation. I shake a beer thats been in the primary for 4 weeks, and it will out gas C02 for a few minutes. Also, if the temp rises, more C02 will be released from the beer. This fact confuses some new brewers who inevitably post "Still Fermenting after 3 Weeks???!!"

Back