Force Carbonation help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jracc

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm new to home brewing and force carbonating in a corny keg. After reading a myriad if postings, the method I want to use to carbonate my beer is setting at 12 psi @40F until its carbonated. The question I have is do I hook up the gas to the out valve, or do I leave it in the in valve and leave it alone?

Many thanks.

Thanks for the info. The only other thing I was thinking was switching the gas port ontop of the tube so the gas is forced to the bottom of the keg and bubbles through the beer. Have you ever tried it that way?

Thanks for the info. The only other thing I was thinking was switching the gas port ontop of the tube so the gas is forced to the bottom of the keg and bubbles through the beer. Have you ever tried it that way?

If you are in a hurry that will speed things up but if you are not careful it is a good way to get beer in you gas line and/or regulator (which will ruin it). If you have 2-3 days to spare just hook the gas up to the in post and wait. Or shake the keg if you want it carbed faster.

Good points. Does it usually take 2-3 days to carb? I've read posts of anywhere up to two weeks to carb.

Good points. Does it usually take 2-3 days to carb? I've read posts of anywhere up to two weeks to carb.

Couple weeks at 12-15 PSI but at 40 PSI it will take 2 days or so. I go with 30 PSI for two days then down to 15 until it is where I want it

I set mine at 20 psi and let it sit for 2 wks. Bleed it then set at 10 and enjoy. I find that patience is key, so brew often and you are no longer in a rush. Think about what you want 3 months ahead of time. Sept= thanksgiving Oct= Christmas etc

Back