Carbonation Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bayou Fatma Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Twas wondering when most start carbonating their Brew after Kegging. I know about the "Set and forget & Force carbonating". After I keg, I put in kegerators and put 10 psi on it and disconnect CO2 then repeat maybe two days later. Just wondering if Brewers start carbonating right away or let it sit with a little pressure on it. Don’t know if there are any benefits to letting it sit awhile "to marry" or getting it carbed asap. 🤔
Slainté 🍻

After I keg, I put in kegerators and put 10 psi on it and disconnect CO2 then repeat maybe two days later.
Repeatedly turning the gas off before the beer is fully carbonated sounds like "slow walking" the carbonation process and would be interested in hearing the rationale behind it.

I, fwiw, put a keg on "chart pressure" (see our favorite carbonation table) and leave the gas on continuously for roughly 2.5 weeks for most beers to get them to 2.5 volumes of CO2. I never turn the gas off in that time...

Cheers!

Repeatedly turning the gas off before the beer is fully carbonated sounds like "slow walking" the carbonation process and would be interested in hearing the rationale behind it.

I, fwiw, put a keg on "chart pressure" (see our favorite carbonation table) and leave the gas on continuously for roughly 2.5 weeks for most beers to get them to 2.5 volumes of CO2. I never turn the gas off in that time...

Cheers!
Just trying to keep a layer of CO2 on it…
Well when I visited some local craft brew bars the owner shows me a lot of kegs with no CO2 hooked up to them just sitting in a refrigerated trailer… Then comes the old time lagering theory of just letting beer sit in cold caves for many months. 🦕
I guess it’s just like beer sitting refrigerated in a fermenter. Just got to thinking about the science of it and if it affects beer flavor in anyway. 🤔 I’ll ask them next visit. P2P

Last edited:
Just trying to keep a later of CO2 on it…
Well when I visited some local craft brew bars the owner shows me a lot of kegs with no CO2 hooked up to them just sitting in a refrigerated trailer… Then comes the old time lagering theory of just letting beer sit in cold caves for many months. 🦕
I guess it’s just like beer sitting refrigerated in a fermenter. Just got to thinking about the science of it and if it affects beer flavor in anyway. 🤔 I’ll ask them next visit. P2P
These kegs are almost certainly already fully carbonated. Once the keg is fully carbonated, you can disconnect/shut off the CO2, and treat the keg like a big bottle. But, until the kegs are fully carbonated, you should keep the CO2 connected.

Brew on :mug:

These kegs are almost certainly already fully carbonated. Once the keg is fully carbonated, you can disconnect/shut off the CO2, and treat the keg like a big bottle. But, until the kegs are fully carbonated, you should keep the CO2 connected.

Brew on :mug:
That sounds logical…Well I guess there’s a point where the cold beer can’t absorb any more CO2 after fully saturated/carbonated and it stays until tapped. I know after putting 10 psi on the Keg it will be down to 3-5 psi in 2 days As it as absorbs the CO2. Perhaps what you said is what the local craft brew shops are doing. thanx for the input. I guess when it reaches that point the CO2 can be disconnected for storage
🍻

Last edited:
Yes, once the beer has reach the desired level of carbonation one can indeed remove the exogenous CO2 source leaving the sealed keg of fully carbonated beer as a big metal bottle. But until that point is reached one is best served leaving the CO2 source connected...

Cheers!

Yes, once the beer has reach the desired level of carbonation one can indeed remove the exogenous CO2 source leaving the sealed keg of fully carbonated beer as a big metal bottle. But until that point is reached one is best served leaving the CO2 source connected...

Cheers!
What’s the effect of disconnecting along the way? Just curious because I had some keezer issues lately that caused me to have to disconnect. One keg was probably mostly carbed and the other was just a couple days in. Then. I had to disconnect for a couple days. Does that reset the timer or do I start where I left off? Curious because I’m back hooked up for a few days and seem a bit flat.

The reason I ask is i only have 3 CO2 bottles/regulators but 5 kegs and was looking for a way to keep others carbonated until I can purchase more CO2 bottles and regulators. 😩.
Put some Ts on the lines and have multiple outputs on it. You don't even need a manifold if you don't want to spend for one. I have only two CO2 bottles, one is on my kegerator feeding four kegs and the other has three replaceable quick disconnects on it, the flare fitting types. That way I can feed either my ball lock or pin lock kegs in any combination thereof. I can also change to a beverage fitting and push CO2 in the beverage line so it ends up at the bottom of the keg. That bottle has three fittings on it, and I also use that for bottling with a counter pressure filler, and force carbonating at High speed. I will put a keg of cold beer in a fridge with the CO2 bottle and charge it overnight at 30 psi. Anywhere from 12 to 18 hours and I can be drinking it the next day. Higher alcohol beers will absorb CO2 faster, so keep that in mind when Force carbonating.

Put some Ts on the lines and have multiple outputs on it. You don't even need a manifold if you don't want to spend for one. I have only two CO2 bottles, one is on my kegerator feeding four kegs and the other has three replaceable quick disconnects on it, the flare fitting types. That way I can feed either my ball lock or pin lock kegs in any combination thereof. I can also change to a beverage fitting and push CO2 in the beverage line so it ends up at the bottom of the keg. That bottle has three fittings on it, and I also use that for bottling with a counter pressure filler, and force carbonating at High speed. I will put a keg of cold beer in a fridge with the CO2 bottle and charge it overnight at 30 psi. Anywhere from 12 to 18 hours and I can be drinking it the next day. Higher alcohol beers will absorb CO2 faster, so keep that in mind when Force carbonating.
I read about check valves in the Manifolds that keep the liquids from traveling from keg to keg and into regulator. Is this a common problem?

Keg it, put it in the cooler for a few days to get it down to serving temp., then put on co2 and leave it at your preferred psi per vol. setting and let it go for a week or so. Bada-bing, drink and dream :thumbsup:

I read about check valves in the Manifolds that keep the liquids from traveling from keg to keg and into regulator. Is this a common problem?
It's common if: 1/ The level of beer in your keg is up to or above the gas diptube and;
2/ The pressure in the keg is higher than the pressure in the gas supply line..though over time (and not much), as pressure equalizes, if the beer is over the level of the gas diptube outlet it will definitely go up the line.
For what it's worth: I usually keg multiple kegs out of a large batch at once and only one of them goes in the kegerator immediately. The others are kept in my 68° basement, usually between 26-30psi (using the popular carb-chart diagonally) until there's space to chill them. I do my best, using a scale while filling them, to keep the beer level below the internal CO2 outlet, but having left them sitting at a pressure that will carbonate them in the amount of time before needed, I connect the liquid line first and pour a pint or two (after a few hours in the kegerator chilling) and then I connect the kegerators CO2.

Twas wondering when most start carbonating their Brew after Kegging. I know about the "Set and forget & Force carbonating". After I keg, I put in kegerators and put 10 psi on it and disconnect CO2 then repeat maybe two days later. Just wondering if Brewers start carbonating right away or let it sit with a little pressure on it. Don’t know if there are any benefits to letting it sit awhile "to marry" or getting it carbed asap. 🤔
Slainté 🍻
Like solely for the Morgus avatar.

Does no one use priming sugar in their kegs anymore?
I always put 2/3 cup corn sugar in mine hit it with a shot of co2 to catch a seal and put it away to carb up just like bottle conditioning.
Of course I haven't kegged in over 20 years .

I always put 2/3 cup corn sugar in mine hit it with a shot of co2 to catch a seal and put it away to carb up just like bottle conditioning.
Of course I haven't kegged in over 20 years .
Nope. Never. Once I started kegging over a dozen years ago I never again bought priming sugar.

I've actually been waiting for an opportunity to do an "A - B" comparison between priming a keg vs gassing another, both from the same brew. Once I get my household water supply infrastructure squared away I'll likely do it on the next batch...

Cheers!

Back