Force carbonating fresh cocktails

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ammccorm

Reaction score
Hey there,

I'm trying to force carbonate and bottle Italian Greyhounds. The beverage is vodka, grapefruit juice, and Campari. I have a set up including a co2 tank, a Cornelius keg, a bottle filler called the last straw, and all the lines, with a co2 regulator, and a wye splitter with two valves attached.

What I'm trying to do is get a pretty aggressive amount of carbonation into the cocktail in a short period of time. The fresh flavor of the grapefruit juice is sensitive, and I cannot let it sit in the keg for a week before bottling. I just wanted to get yalls opinions about the best way to do this. I experimented a little bit with flavored sparkling water, and force carbonated the keg at 40psi for about 40 minutes rocking the keg, then disconnected it and let it sit overnight in the fridge. It was ok, but I want more carbonation. Similarly, the water is flavored with fresh cucumber and mint, and those flavors just die if they sit for too long.

Separately, I also have a SodaStream, and was wondering why it is that I can get a really good sparkling water in just a few seconds with a SodaStream and I need to let it sit under pressure in a keg for several days.

I really appreciate any advice you guys have. It took a long time to learn what little I do and acquire all the equipment, and I'd really appreciate the guidance on the right way to seal the deal and make this as good as it can be.

Thanks again!

Best,

Andrew

Try a force carbonating cap for soda bottles but stick it in the freezer to cool it down first.

SodaStream increases the area of contact between the gas and liquid by infusing it with tiny bubbles, which increases the rate of dissolution of the gas into the liquid. Same thing as shaking it, but much more so. They sell carbonation stones to do this with beer/kegs.

Reading a primer on the physical chemistry of gas/pressure might be useful to you: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~lpt/primer.htm

Hey there,

Thanks for the tip about carbonation stones. I've never actually heard of those, and it sounds like it'll do the trick. Just one question, I also saw carbonation lids for a Cornelius keg. Is there any advantage to getting this?

Chill all your ingredients as much as possible, as close to freezing as possible if you have a way to do this (and as long as it won't ruin your flavor somehow), this should allow for must faster, and higher PSI carbonating. I've gotten chilled water in a Cornelius keg to maybe 60psi in a matter of a few minutes with some shaking/rolling/rocking.

Get a carbonation cap, chill in the freezer then shake in a 2l bottle while pressurizing. That is the fastest way to carbonate and bottle quickly. Takes minutes instead of hours or days. And you can get a lot of co2 in that way.

Back