Forbidden Chicken Fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinyHands

Reaction score
This is pure curiosity. I'm not seriously suggesting this to anyone to try, due to the health risks which should be apparent.

I was brainstorming a cream stout with vanilla, because I have a hankering for creme brulee, the reigning champion of desserts. Custardy-styles of beer are pretty common, but I noticed now that they lack a key custard ingredient.

What would happen if we added eggs to wort? I don't want to cook the eggs, so it would have to be post-boil. But I also don't want to kill my whole family with salmonellosis. Assuming there's a way to avoid infection... and there must be, since I have seen on multiple threads that using egg whites as a wine clarifier is common enough, if weird. There's almost zero sugar, but quite a bit of protein. What would happen? Improved body? Thicker head? Unexplained muscle growth? A tax audit?

vanilla and brown sugar / piloncillo will get you there. If you want to thicken your beer, use a low-attenuating yeast (S-04 or any other english yeast), mash at a high temp (155-160F), and maybe add lactose or other non-attenuating sugars.

If you add eggs, which I very much encourage ( :) ), take pictures and document the entire thing and make sure to follow up here.

Back