For those with fancy pants wort chillers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toppers

Reaction score
I seem some crazy double coil chillers going around the gallery pics.

Noticeable improvement with one one of those?

Immersion, counter flow, or chill plate. Counterflows are popular, but I like my immersion.

Don't ask me, I've regressed back to the ice bath, you'd be surprised what 40-50 pounds of ice will do.

No more hooking up the I/C and dealing w/ the hot wastewater, dealing w/ the hoses and cleaning afterwards.

Yea I guess I'm lazy and prefer a low tech simple approach. Also helps to have a source for bulk ice! Oh and it chills! Any doubters out there just fill a bucket w/ ice and water and stick your foot in it.

I am thrilled with my Shirron.

I am also looking at a Brew-Magic with the Chill Wizard. That thing is a beast. As good as my Shirron is, I can't imagine how much better a Therminator would be.

My CFC works great. I pump water out of the sink, and when it warms up, i move the hose to the drain, and add more cold water. The wort is hitting the fermenter at around 78F reliably.
I do however have some concerns about cleaning it....5 gallons of hot water when I'm done, and before I start I run some starSan through it....and some hot wort before I start the cooling water.
Haven't had a problem with it yet.....but I expect one every time.

I like my immersion chiller because it is very efficient for my 5 gallon brews and clean up is a snap. I collect the warm water runoff and use it for my cleaning ( I only have cold water in my garage).

My CFC works great. I pump water out of the sink, and when it warms up, i move the hose to the drain, and add more cold water. The wort is hitting the fermenter at around 78F reliably.
I do however have some concerns about cleaning it....5 gallons of hot water when I'm done, and before I start I run some starSan through it....and some hot wort before I start the cooling water.
Haven't had a problem with it yet.....but I expect one every time.

I run 5 gal of boiling water thru mine just before I use it. no problems.

I use a therminator and run the wort through full blast all the time, I throttle the water to control the temp. This time of year I can get the wort into the low 50s if I have the water running full blast, if I ever did start throttling the wort I am sure I could be well into the 40s.

OK. I got all jacked up there.

I was just thinking you could do whatever you (whoever that is) do to sanitize it before you kill the flame, then there's no delay before you start chilling.

:mug:

Back