For those that are on the fence buying the new Spike Conical

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this thread is right where i'm struggling a bit at the moment.

The SS Unitank and the Spike CF conicals are both pretty nice! SS has put a comparison chart up on their site, here: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...unitank_all_unitsnew.jpg?11887141875371638501

Not sure how much their comparison leans me towards them but I do like the multiple welded TC ports on the SS vs the minimal on the Spike.

The comparison chart is very inaccurate at least in describing Spike's offerings. I think SSBT has some good stuff but they should fix the errors. There are many.

In the SS chart there is a section that says "Sanitary lid seal and type".

By sanitary, do they mean Triclamp, or are they saying that Spikes band clamp and seal is unsanitary?

Is there anything wrong with the clamp and seal on the Spike?

OK, I'll point out where the inaccuracies are in the SSbt table noted above by @alphakry.

Included Sanitary Pressure Gauge; says "not available." I have one on mine, on the pressure manifold that is connected via TC.

Included Pro-Grade TC PRV; says "not available." Mine is on the pressure manifold. What makes something "pro-grade" I have no idea. Mine works fine.

Included Insulating Jacket; says "not available." I have one on my Spike.

Available Temp Control Chilling. Says "not available." I have one on my Spike.

Available Temp Control Heating/Chilling. Says "not available." I have both on my Spike.

Dedicated Carb Stone Port. Says "not available." That's disengenuous. You can put that easily on the racking port valve and remove it as you wish. I've never used mine; glad there's no "dedicated" port I'd have to screw around with.

Included Carb Stone and Valve. Says "not available." The carb stone *is* available; I have one. And it goes on the racking port which has....a valve.

Pressure Control Valve on Blowoff Cane. Says "not available." Well, why you'd want or need one there, I don't know. I have never used a blowoff cane on my Spike, and the PRV is on the pressure manifold.

Now, I do think SSbt has some good stuff. @Morrey has some, and he's done great beer with them. I'm sure I could, too. But there's a part of me that wonders why SSbt has so much inaccuracy in their comparison table. Makes me wonder what's inaccurate in the listing of Brewer's Hardware and Blichmann offerings.

It'll be interesting to see if they decide to make make the table accurate. If they continue to present things that are inaccurate, well, I'm sure you can fill in the rest.

all fair points! I think they put that chart together a while back when Spike wasn't offering some of these things. Thankfully they do now and as you said, there's quite a lot wrong with this chart.

I'm a fan of Spike and will be going that way. I am just brainstorming what custom ports if any I would want. I guess there really is no reason to have more then what's already offered on the lid - as the pressure manifold takes care of the gauge and PRV in one place.

Nope, bought it new. I could have found a traditional fridge instead of a glass door unit, but I wanted to be able to see the conical. It doesn't make sense, but I did it anyway. I had an unexpected work bonus that I used for frivolous purposes.
Nice. Yeh I have expected work bonuses but they always seem to get spent somewhere before I can get to my frivolous wish list!
Where did you get that? Is that a fridge or a freezer?

Nice. Yeh I have expected work bonuses but they always seem to get spent somewhere before I can get to my frivolous wish list!
Where did you get that? Is that a fridge or a freezer?
I bought it online from one of the web restaurant supply stores. It is a fridge. The freezer was more expensive.

Back