for Review: Amarillo, Citra, CTZ IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atmfuge

Reaction score
I've spun up this recipe for an IPA I'm thinking about making. I'm pretty confident in the Citra and Amarillo additions. This will be my first time using CTZ and I want some feedback on how it might play with the other two hops. I'm planing on using CTZ primarily for bittering.

OG: 1.069
FG: 1.017
IBU: 79

Grains:
MO: 12#
Munich 10L: 1#
Carapils: 8 oz.

Hop Schedule:
60 min: CTZ (1.5oz)
15 min: CTZ (.5oz)
Citra (1.0 oz)
Flameout/20 min whirlpool:
Citra (1.5 oz)
Amarillo (1.5oz)
Dry hop (for 3 days after reaching FG)
Citra (2.0 oz)
Amarillo (2.0 oz)

Yeast: S-04

CTZ is a bittering monster. Love it for bittering but for your grain bill I would drop it to .75oz-1oz and you should be good. AT 1.5 oz it will definitely be bitter. I would also throw some dextrose in there to dry it out a little bit. 1.017 FG is a little high for IPA IMO.

After reading these responses I decided to look back at this recipe in BeerSmith (I had created it on my phone using "brew log") and realized that the numbers in my post were probably not the most accurate. BeerSmith gave me an OG of 1.074 and IBUs of 117 with a FG of 1.014. I'm going to bump the first Columbus addition down to .75 oz and keep the rest the same I might look at using some dextrose to dry it out but I like my bigger IPAs on the sweeter side, especially using MO.

After reading these responses I decided to look back at this recipe in BeerSmith (I had created it on my phone using "brew log") and realized that the numbers in my post were probably not the most accurate. BeerSmith gave me an OG of 1.074 and IBUs of 117 with a FG of 1.014. I'm going to bump the first Columbus addition down to .75 oz and keep the rest the same I might look at using some dextrose to dry it out but I like my bigger IPAs on the sweeter side, especially using MO.

If that's they why you like it rock on brotha, I wouldn't bother with the dextrose then.

Back