Food grade C02...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazamodo

Reaction score
Ok after searching everywhere for food grade, or pub gas C02, I stumbled upon some rather old (2006ish) discussion threads about how welding gas, and beer gas, at least in the UK, are the same thing, and that there is no harm in my using C02 for welding rather than food grade?

Please tell me this is true, or at least that it with have no terrible effects, since I can readily get hold of C02, just not the food grade pub gas.4

Ok, searched it on this forum also, and now have no worries about using welding gas.

I get my co2 bottles filled at a fire extinguisher co. I'm sure it's not " food grade" but have had no issues what so ever.

Welding gas! But in addition I have a filter on the line just in case some dirt/rust, etc. is in the tank - $5 insurance.

industrial grade gasses are more pure then even medical grade gasses because they dont want to risk screwing up their manufacturing. I doubt you'll fine "food grade" Co2, but being in Europe ya never know.

When I last filled my tank, I talked to the gentleman there. Food grade CO2 is a misnomer at best. The only difference when it is considered food grade is that they do a complete purge of the tank. Otherwise, the gas is the same.

The difference probably has to do with the tank itself and not the gas. A "food grade" CO2 cylinder probably has a chromed valve, similar to the "medical use" oxygen cylinders you find in hospitals and emergency response vehicles. The chrome allows for a cleaner, rust-free valve. I've seen and sold many "medical" O2 cylinders over the years. I don't think I've ever seen a "food grade" CO2 cylinder.

Food grade gas are food grade cylinder. The gas is the very same. Those food grade/medical purpose cylinder will/should have a plastic wrapping around their valve. It's a seal for the valve and cylinder.

I got my informations from my welding gas supplier (technical advisor) which supplied me with one of those beverage sealed cylinder. $10 surplus.

I have a 10lb tank I swap out at the local AirGas store here in town. It costs me 18 bucks and change to exchange my tank for a full one. Which includes all the hazmat, and recert fee's.

Pretty good deal, when one tank lasts me well over a year. Depending on how much I brew. Also Soda takes more CO2 than beer, and I've done a lot of that for the kido's.

Cheers for the info guys, I can get a 14lb tank for £35, so think I may just go for it. Then I can finally order some corny kegs!

I go to whatever is closest and is open. My LHBS don't carry a nitro/co2 mix though, so that would have to be found at a wielding supply store or fire supply store.

I don't claim this to be true, just what I was told at my gas shop: the difference between 'food grade' and other gas is that food grade can be traced from point of sale all the way back to manufacture. i assume it's sort of like a lot number so it can all be traced back if there is a problem.

I usually go to my LHBS but they were out when I went last Friday and so was I. Good thing the local welding supply was open Saturday.

Do you guys go to your LHBS for your CO2? That's what I do.

I do as well - I'm on their gas program, which is very handy indeed. Just rolled over there today in fact to swap tanks as I have two brews being crashing this week that'll hit the keezer Sunday and I was down to under a half pound.

They also carry nitro mix, and some day I'll be adding a stout faucet...

Cheers!

I go to a place that sells Soda dispensing systems to bars and restaurants. I would have to assume if food grade C02 exists they are filling my tank with it.

I don't know about the UK, but on this side of the pond they're exactly the same.

A buddy of mine works at a welding shop here in town that supplies both CO2 and O2 to the local breweries in town. Just as a side note, the ONLY difference in welding O2 and medical O2 is the paperwork. They fill them from the same container, and yes I've seen that in person with my own eyes.

I have another buddy who supplies me with all my gauges and CO2 stuff, who works for a bar/restaurant CO2 company. I asked him if he could get me CO2 from his place cheaper than at the welding place....he started laughing and told me that is where it comes from!!

Gas is gas is gas. Anybody charging you extra for 'pub' or 'medical' or 'food' or 'Wookie' grade gas is likely following the advice of P.T. Barnum.

Back