Food Grade 35% Hydrogen Peroxide as a Sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NavyMarine1978

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

My father has been using 35% hydrogen peroxide for a long time to sanitize his equipment. I just purchased my fist 1 litre bottle of 35% and am finding all sorts of conflicting info as to how strong or weak the solution should be to properly sanitize ( any where from 0.01-3%). Any good info out there? I like the idea of the Food Grade Peroxide since it can be used in food and ingested as a diluted solution and breaks down into water and oxygen. Any info is appreciated.

NavyMarine1978

I only trust StarSan

Don't fear the foam

HomeBrew is about experimenting ...I say try it out and find out if it's good or not

I used a solution of 5oz of 3% h2o2 per gallon of water for a long time without any problems or infections. That said, your 35% h2o2 would require more like 0.5oz per gallon of water.

The thing is, food grade h2o2 is likely expensive. Even with my discount by buying from my employer, a 1 gallon jug of 3% h2o2 was still $4.30 which made about 30 gallons of "sanitizing" solution. I use the quotation marks because I am not absolutely certain that the solution sanitized, but I do know that it worked well and I never had any problems using it over the course of about 20 batches all with the same buckets, tubes, etc.

When I did a cost comparison, the generic "Acid Sanitizer" (same as starsan) from my LHBS actually cost less per gallon of solution than using h2o2.

So, to answer your question directly, you need a mixture of about 0.5oz of your 35% h2o2 per gallon.

EDIT: Also, 5oz of 3% in a gallon of water is a concentration of 0.117%. With 0.5oz (roughly 15ml) of 35% you're at a concentration of 0.1367%.

H2O2 also degrades fairly quickly, so if you buy it in bulk you may find its efficacy decreases as you store it.

If it breaks down into oxygen then it could contribute to oxidizing your finished beer. I'd imagine not much but it could be why you don't see it much.

My chemist friend recommended mixing 1 part 5% acetic (white distilled vinegar) with 2 parts 3% peroxide as a no-rinse contact sanitizer.

Said that the acetic helps the peroxide do it's thing, and then the peroxide evaporates within about 2 hours.

You can store 35% peroxide in a brown glass bottle inside a cardboard box for a long time. In a plastic bottle, it will eventually eat through the plastic.

I appreciate all the input. I liked the idea of using something organic as a sanitizer and that people actually drink H2O2 in small amounts mixed with water. I was not sure if people should drink star san in any amount but maybe they can.

So vinegar helps the peroxide do its thing? Does it matter if I am using 3% or 35%?

The peroxide came in a white plastic bottle with a foam sealer under a plastic cap with a small hole it. I was confused about the small hole in the lid.

I used a solution of 5oz of 3% h2o2 per gallon of water for a long time without any problems or infections. That said, your 35% h2o2 would require more like 0.5oz per gallon of water.

The thing is, food grade h2o2 is likely expensive. Even with my discount by buying from my employer, a 1 gallon jug of 3% h2o2 was still $4.30 which made about 30 gallons of "sanitizing" solution. I use the quotation marks because I am not absolutely certain that the solution sanitized, but I do know that it worked well and I never had any problems using it over the course of about 20 batches all with the same buckets, tubes, etc.

When I did a cost comparison, the generic "Acid Sanitizer" (same as starsan) from my LHBS actually cost less per gallon of solution than using h2o2.

So, to answer your question directly, you need a mixture of about 0.5oz of your 35% h2o2 per gallon.

EDIT: Also, 5oz of 3% in a gallon of water is a concentration of 0.117%. With 0.5oz (roughly 15ml) of 35% you're at a concentration of 0.1367%.

So, do you feel that the peroxide did its thing? I also found info that suggested H2O2 as a sanitizer at percentages as low as 0.01-0.5%. I used about a teaspoon in two gallons of water with hopes that it will work. I am unable to figure out the percentages at what solution.

Greetings! & :mug: Cheers!

I have not quite started my first brew - however, I am going to be ready this weekend! ;) I am really excited!! I feel like this is the only thing I have read for days. :) I stopped by the thread because I read you guys talking about using a sanitizer and using peroxide... I am new to the Brew and wanted to check on my stuff... My kit came with BTF IODOPHOR... I was going to throw all of my equipment into my dishwasher.... Glad that I kept reading... :eek: I figure that I would fix about 2 gallons of water in a 5-gal bucket and dip all of my brewing utensils I need to brew the beer. I am also going to use a sheet of foil - dipped in the sanitation solution, also - so that I have a sanitized place to put my tools on without being infected.
I have never heard of my sanitizing stuff, but I figure for my first brew, it shouldn't be too bad to use.

Thinking about beginning my Brew on Sunday... If I can get my big barrel bucket to keep my fermentation cool. :)

Peace. Love. & Beer.
Cheers! :mug:

This just reminded me of this comic.

image-3813991861.jpg

If it breaks down into oxygen then it could contribute to oxidizing your finished beer. I'd imagine not much but it could be why you don't see it much.

When you dilute the h2o2 to only about 0.1% the amount of o2 given off is so minute that oxidation isn't a concern, IMO.

I appreciate all the input. I liked the idea of using something organic as a sanitizer and that people actually drink H2O2 in small amounts mixed with water. I was not sure if people should drink star san in any amount but maybe they can.

So vinegar helps the peroxide do its thing? Does it matter if I am using 3% or 35%?

The peroxide came in a white plastic bottle with a foam sealer under a plastic cap with a small hole it. I was confused about the small hole in the lid.

Once you sanitize your equipment, there is such a small amount of sanitizing solution still on the equipment that you're not really drinking any of it.

So, do you feel that the peroxide did its thing? I also found info that suggested H2O2 as a sanitizer at percentages as low as 0.01-0.5%. I used about a teaspoon in two gallons of water with hopes that it will work. I am unable to figure out the percentages at what solution.

I think the h2o2 did a fine job.
1tsp of 35% in two gallons of water would be only about 0.02275%. You'll need 3tsp of that 35% to hit your 0.1% concentration. (roughly 0.1365%)

Greetings! & :mug: Cheers!

I have not quite started my first brew - however, I am going to be ready this weekend! ;) I am really excited!! I feel like this is the only thing I have read for days. :) I stopped by the thread because I read you guys talking about using a sanitizer and using peroxide... I am new to the Brew and wanted to check on my stuff... My kit came with BTF IODOPHOR... I was going to throw all of my equipment into my dishwasher.... Glad that I kept reading... :eek: I figure that I would fix about 2 gallons of water in a 5-gal bucket and dip all of my brewing utensils I need to brew the beer. I am also going to use a sheet of foil - dipped in the sanitation solution, also - so that I have a sanitized place to put my tools on without being infected.
I have never heard of my sanitizing stuff, but I figure for my first brew, it shouldn't be too bad to use.

Thinking about beginning my Brew on Sunday... If I can get my big barrel bucket to keep my fermentation cool. :)

Peace. Love. & Beer.
Cheers! :mug:

Greetings! Iodophor is basically iodine. It's a great sanitizer. I believe you need about a capfull in 5 gallons of water. Check your label to be sure! It will start to discolor your plastic items over time, but it works well and is no-rinse.

Hey Everyone,

My father has been using 35% hydrogen peroxide for a long time to sanitize his equipment. I just purchased my fist 1 litre bottle of 35% and am finding all sorts of conflicting info as to how strong or weak the solution should be to properly sanitize ( any where from 0.01-3%). Any good info out there? I like the idea of the Food Grade Peroxide since it can be used in food and ingested as a diluted solution and breaks down into water and oxygen. Any info is appreciated.

NavyMarine1978

I am not sure what you mean by 35%. If it is really 35% pure, it is really quite hazardous to work with. Here is the MSDS sheet for 35% hydrogen-peroxide:

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9924300

Be very careful as you can very easily get a serious chemical "burn" with it. I have a friend who almost blew up the lab where he went to grad school when he added too much highly concentrated hydrogen per oxide into very organic rich soil.

It does react with organic carbon so can have a sgnificant effect on your skin.:drunk:

I am not sure what you mean by 35%. If it is really 35% pure, it is really quite hazardous to work with. Here is the MSDS sheet for 35% hydrogen-peroxide:

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9924300

Be very careful as you can very easily get a serious chemical "burn" with it. I have a friend who almost blew up the lab where he went to grad school when he added too much highly concentrated hydrogen per oxide into very organic rich soil.

It does react with organic carbon so can have a sgnificant effect on your skin.:drunk:

True. 35% is some serious stuff. I don't even know if you can buy it in the US without some sort of license. We have it where I work but it's not available for sale to employees like the 3% is. The OP is from Nova Scotia (i think), though, so pehaps it's available OTC there...???

Xaphoeous said:
Greetings! Iodophor is basically iodine. It's a great sanitizer. I believe you need about a capfull in 5 gallons of water. Check your label to be sure! It will start to discolor your plastic items over time, but it works well and is no-rinse.

Sweet! TY!! Totally so excited to get this going!! I am going to have a 5-gal bucket to do my sanitizing in... I think I have a good plan.. & everything I have heard of Iodophor has been good!!! Just ready to get this going!!

Peace. Love. & Beer.
Cheers!

Off topic but I am glad someone else thought of that comic because that is the first thing I thought of (medicinal chemist here).

Yes. This is 35% H2O2 which quite often uses different names such as Super Food or Super Oxygen which I believe are brand assosiated. What I have is made by GoldTop Organics and called Super Oxygen (35% Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide Aqueous Solution, H2O2, UN2014, Oxidizer 5.1, Corrosive 8) If even residue touches your skin, it turns white within seconds of exposure and has a funny scent about it after contact with skin. I also found that an inexpensive stainless permanent coffee filter will rust when exposed to 2ml/2gal of water.

I have an unopened bottle of 3% H2O2. I'm going to try that out (5 oz per gallon H2O)...because my C-Brite is missing and I don't want to go back to the store to get some :) Hope it works...Thanks for the tip!

My chemist friend recommended mixing 1 part 5% acetic (white distilled vinegar) with 2 parts 3% peroxide as a no-rinse contact sanitizer.

I'm not sure but I think that produces PAA (Paracetic acid)
and it is a quite powerful industrial sanitizer.:eek:nestar:

Here are a few quotes from the probrewer forum.I use starsan myself.

I like Loeffler's PAA.. it's a 15% peracetic acid. Although a little more expensive, you use only 1/3 the volume of the 5% and end up spending less in the long run. Also you won't see foaming with peracetic acids & they drain off well and dry w/o residue.

Sanitizers are typically formulated to be no rinse. Meaning any slight residue remaining on surfaces if carried into the food product are harmless or tasteless. For instance Perosan and PAA break down into acetic acid (AKA vinegar). No rinse sanitizers are also FDA approved for this "no rinse use"

perosan = 22% hydrogen peroxide, 5% peroxyacetic acid

Back