Follow up question for people who have transferred from sanke to corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenyabob

Reaction score
I am going to try and transfer some beer from a sanke to corny. Reading a lot of the other threads, I have a pretty good idea what I am going to do. My questions are just these:

1) Can I get a cheaper sanke tap, say something not stainless steel, maybe nickel plated if I am only going to transfer maybe 5 or 6 times a year?

2) How would I clean or rinse the tap after I transferred the beer if I didnt have another sanke keg filled with sanitizer/water?

1) You can use the cheaper sanke tap either way! Just like faucets/shanks, the chrome plating is usually fine under regular use, the all stainless is bombproof though.

2) I find that putting my couplers in the "open" position (lever down), removing the beer nuts/washers/check valve, and soaking them in oxi clean then hot water is plenty to clean even a gunked up one that's been hooked up to a keg for months. I'd guess a good rinse in hot water (you should be able to see the water come out the top port) followed by a spritz of star san would be fine for your light use. If you can still smell beer when you stick your nose in there, give it a soak.

Remember to hit the rubber parts with keg lube!

If you're only going to use the coupler for transfers, and might possibly want to transfer the other way someday (corny/fermenter to sankey), you can remove the check valves inside. That makes it super easy to clean by simply running some hot water through it in the sink.

Latest posts

Back