Foamy Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moorebrews123

Reaction score
Hi, I am brewing so hello all!

I made my first batch today and got 2 gallons of juice from apple bought from the green grocers. I didn't press the apples as I don't have the space to do that so I juiced them. I juiced them directly into my 5 gallon brewing bucket. Once finished I stirred my 1pound of Sugar in and left for 10 minutes. I then added my cider yeast made by youngs and left for 15 minutes before stirring in. The only thing I think I could have done better was use a siv between the juicer and bucket as I have a very foamy juice at the moment. I put my lid and airlock in place and have left it at the moment I only done my batch today. Will it be ok for it to be this foamy until I put it into my demijohns, I was looking to demijohn it in around 4 days and when demijohning using a siv then? Any help would be much appreciated

Do you think I should give it a good stir 24 hours after I've put everything in as My airlock isn't bubbling tet

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1408896713.802588.jpg

1) looks normal
2) lack of airlock activity does not mean lack of fermentation
3) With that much sugar, I suggest you keep it a s cool as is possible. You do not want two gallons of nail polish remover smelling cider.
4) Other than that, good luck.

EDIT: You might not get nail polish smelling cider, but it is possible.

Do not get in a hurry to rack out of your primary. Leave the cider alone for two weeks, that way all the yummy bits that are in the foam will help to flavor your cider.

Thanks for all the help, I don't want nail Polish will leave in the fermenting bin for 2 weeks then transfer to demijohns

Back