Foamy beer while bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fanch75

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've brewed 4 batches, and every time the beer gets a little foamy when transferring (via cane & siphon, ie the "whirlpool" technique) from the primary to the bottling bucket, and again when bottling (via hose attached to the spigot, with the bottling end attached). The foam in the bottle would get up to about an inch or so thick, so I'd have foam spill out if I filled the bottle to the proper level.

The first batch was infected (I didn't sanitize properly). The second batch was a Coopers English Bitter kit and tasted great. The third was a Munton's Premium Pilsner, it is flat but I think the temps were too low while conditioning in the bottle (I shook them & moved them from the cold basement to the warmer 2nd level). The four batch I just bottled last night, and I got frustrated by all this foaming. :)

ANy ideas on what is causing this foaming? I can see bubbles in the hose from the spigot to the bottling end (the hose is about 4 feet long, it seems connected securely).

Hello all,

I've brewed 4 batches, and every time the beer gets a little foamy when transferring (via cane & siphon, ie the "whirlpool" technique) from the primary to the bottling bucket, and again when bottling (via hose attached to the spigot, with the bottling end attached). The foam in the bottle would get up to about an inch or so thick, so I'd have foam spill out if I filled the bottle to the proper level.

The first batch was infected (I didn't sanitize properly). The second batch was a Coopers English Bitter kit and tasted great. The third was a Munton's Premium Pilsner, it is flat but I think the temps were too low while conditioning in the bottle (I shook them & moved them from the cold basement to the warmer 2nd level). The four batch I just bottled last night, and I got frustrated by all this foaming. :)

ANy ideas on what is causing this foaming? I can see bubbles in the hose from the spigot to the bottling end (the hose is about 4 feet long, it seems connected securely).

sounds like you have air seeping in at a connection. I suggest you look up REVVYS bottling thread and read it. Invaluable info to me in there. However if you continue with your technique, the next time you see bubbles in your line, pinch the line closed with your fingers at the point you se the bubbles. As I said it may be air seeping in OR it may just be an air bubble that is stuck.

Thanks guys. This is great information, this forum has been so helpful.

I learned from this forum last night that the bottles need to be at 70 degrees to carbonate. This explains why my 3rd batch (Munton's Premium Pilsner) was flat - it was about 60 in my basement. I also learned I can get them to carbonate by moving them upstairs (where it is 70) and then shaking them a little to wake the yeast. Great information, I thought the batch was going to need to be forced down!

How much impact on the taste does this air have? Like I said, the 2nd batch of Coopers English Bitter was incredible, and it was foamy at bottling (I let it sit for about 15 minutes so that the foam would go down).

It doesn't really NEED to be in the 70's to carb up. I try to ferment ales in the mid 60's and carb at room temp which in our house right now is 62F. It might take longer, but most yeast work fine down to the low 60's.

I'm going to give 70 a try - because the Munton's Premium Pilsner is VERY flat (small hiss at opening, virtually non-existent head around teh edges of the glass) after 6 weeks in the bottle. Let's hope!

I did ferment down there at the ~60 mark.

I'm on batch 130 (or so). I too have experienced the foaming at bottling problem. The weird thing is that some batches I have no problem getting in the bottle, and others I'll loose two or three bottles from excessive foaming. I've kept track of barometric pressure, but can find no correlation. My procedure (and recipe) is always the same. My last two batches were done during a full moon and I had no problem. Its the best I've got to go on right now.
Keep it in mind.

Carbonation temperature depends on the yeast used. The amount of yeast left in suspension will also affect the time it takes to carb.

I think the foaming is CO2 coming out of the beer, and has nothing to do with leaks, aeration, or infection. I get it occasionally and have still not figured out what the cause is.

If you can limit the loss from foaming, the beer will probably be better as the CO2 coming out of solution will fill the airspace in the bottle and exclude O2 from the bottle.

I always get foam when bottling, but that's due to using StarSan to sanitise the bottles before filling them...

I'm on batch 130 (or so). I too have experienced the foaming at bottling problem. The weird thing is that some batches I have no problem getting in the bottle, and others I'll loose two or three bottles from excessive foaming. I've kept track of barometric pressure, but can find no correlation. My procedure (and recipe) is always the same. My last two batches were done during a full moon and I had no problem. Its the best I've got to go on right now.
Keep it in mind.
I have now bottled 7 batches during a full moon. I've had zero problems with foam. I am convinced that is the solution. Pardon me while I go shave.

Back