Foaming sample?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snwmnhntr

Reaction score
So I brewed a Midwest Alt extract kit on friday, and everything went great. Didnt see any activity in the air lock after 24 hours so I took a sample from the port (Minibrew 8 gal fermeter) and the gravity had dropped from an O.G. of 1.046 to 1.030. Today i decided to check the progress and sanitized the port with a few shots of starsan and opened up the valve. Guess what huge foam snake came out. closed the valve for a second then opened it up again to a nice stream of beer. Gravity was 1.014, but what was that foam all about? Never seen that before, I hope it was just a reaction with the starsan. Any ideas?:confused:

I'm not sure what you mean by "port", but you probably got a load of krausen coming out of it. Completely normal, no worries.

I would have thought it was just some krausen but the sample port on the conical is in the bottom third of the fermenter, well below the top of the beer.

if a foam snake came out like that it sounds a lot like the airlock isn't releasing all the CO2 pressure.

Back