Foam on water from aluminum pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 141939

Reaction score
Has anybody experienced this? I poured some water to heat up for strike water into my aluminum pot and noticed foam/sudsy looking stuff forming. So I dumped it out, rinsed a bunch, refilled and heated.

It's almost up to temp and there is all this foam, I happen to also be heating some in my stainless steel stock pot and no foam in the stockpot.

I never use soap on my aluminum Pot. I actually do use soap on the stainless pot, since it is mostly used for cooking. What could it be? There is a little bit of beerstone (I think) on the bottom of the aluminum pot, could it be that? This is my main wort boiling pot. Here are the pics of both the stainless and the aluminum from just now...

http://imgur.com/a/gkKVS

I've dumped the water and am re-heating fresh water but I have the feeling it will be coming back.

Maybe? Usually what happens is, I transfer beer to fermenter, fill pot full of water and soak overnight, and then clean out the next day with just a sponge and some water.

I've used nothing but aluminum boil kettles (7.5 and 10gallon) for almost 2 years. Nothing wrong with the pots. I get some foam, but don't pay any attention. Once in a blue moon, I'll just boil 5gallons of RO water in them to "clean" them...not sure it does anything...but makes me feel better.

Maybe? Usually what happens is, I transfer beer to fermenter, fill pot full of water and soak overnight, and then clean out the next day with just a sponge and some water.

That's exactly what I do...basically. City water does change over...might have something to do with that.

Great thanks for the feedback.

I'm sure I've gotten it before not payed it any mind. But because this time I was also heating up water in a separate pot it became very apparent and disconcerting.

Rinsing well with cold water did nothing, but heating the pot to strike temp with water seemed to have gotten rid of it all.

Latest posts

Back