Flying with grain and hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GatorBeer

Reaction score
So I'm visiting family on the west coast and bought some grain (13 lbs) and hops for a new recipe at a local homebrew store since I don't have one in the east coast. Has anybody ever flown with grain and hops in their carry-on luggage? Would TSA have a problem with this? I'm not checking a bag and would really like to avoid shipping costs from coast to coast.

Like said its not liquid or gel so there are no regs prohibiting it. Keep everything in original packaging and let the tsa "agent" know what's up and u should be fine

I've flown lots of hops, grain, and yeast. Usually I check it and I intentionally put them in used Northern Brewer kit boxes to give some clue as to what it is. Carrying on hasn't been any issue at all. I don't recall ever being asked anything about it. Just made sure no liquid yeast in my carry on of course.

Hops=pot....

You are going to get searched for drugs....

Only kidding... but I would not be surprised if a TSA agent goes that way...

Back