Fly sparge question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chemman14

Reaction score
I currently do a batch sparge. I plan on going to a fly sparge system in the future when i go to a temperature controlled mash system. I see most people say that you need to keep 1-2 inches of water above your grain bed when fly sparging. Does this mean that your sparge water volume must equal your pre-boil volume? For example if you normally start a 60 min boil with 7 gallons of wort, you will need 7 gallons of sparge water.

You sparge until you reach your preboil volume.

I understand that but if you maintain 1-2 inches of water on top of the grian bed. Allowing the same ammount of water in as you allow out, wouldnt you need to sparge 7 gallons to get a pre boil volume of 7 gallons

You have to take into account the water from your mash..if you have 2 gallons in your mash. Then you need 5 g of sparge water.. Depends on your equipment loss in the MT, grain absorption.

The answers so far are a bit cryptic so we'll try this...

There are two camps with fly sparging; those that continue to add new sparge water until the very end of collection and those that stop a little short so that the mashtun isn't filled with water and grain at the end of runoff.

I typically choose a sparge volume that will leave about 3 gallons of water in the tun when I'm done collecting. This is to keep the grainbed flowing nicely right to the end, but without having to dump all that liquid.

Back