flourescent light bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmoo1302

Reaction score
HI.
As the winter here in socal has been like the north pole this winter( yeah I know were just a bunch of nancys here), I have been trying to keep the temp in my fermenter at 68-70 degrees w/ a mini flourescent bulb, does agreat job. M

y question is will the light from this source damage my brew as does sunlight?
thanks

I have wondered about that as well. To be safe I stole some black t-shirts out of my fiance's closet and dress my carboys in them. Works great.

Sunlight is the worst, but fluorescent light also has a lesser amount of the blue light that causes skunking.
An incadescent bulb would be better in this respect, though I don't really know how much of an issue it is.

ah yes T-shirts will have to do, got lots o them , so now I'm dressing up my carboys.......................................... . thanks for the quick replies.

There are lots of other cheap heating elements that do not produce light. Try a heating pad.

I use a ceramic heat bulb that is marketed for reptile aquariums. Screws into any light fixture. Makes the heat of a light bulb but no light.

I've tried the lizard lamp, but It got the temp too high, 60w florescent keeps it at 68-70 degrees. My ferm/chamber is just large enough to hold 3 carboys ,and the small light uses very little power. thanks for the replies

Not to bum you out. But a couple beer distributors have told me that fluorescent light is responsible for a lot of the damage done to beer on a store shelf. More specifically, they told me that 90-percent of the damage to beer on the shelf occurs within the first 48 hours in the store, and can be attributed to fluorescent light.

I haven't seen any research to go with their claims. But I've heard this repeated by at least one microbrewery. The concern seems to be shared by breweries that are putting taller six pack holders on their bottles to block out more light.

Brown bottles still block the light from fluorescents...but not green bottles. That's why Heinekin has such a rep for being a skunky beer. its not bad when its fresh and not light damaged.

Fluorescent bulbs generate UV in the tube, which then excites the phosphor coating to create white light. So, fluorescent bulbs emit a lot of UV. It would be a much better idea to just use a standard incandescent lightbulb.

I've tried the lizard lamp, but It got the temp too high, 60w florescent keeps it at 68-70 degrees. My ferm/chamber is just large enough to hold 3 carboys ,and the small light uses very little power. thanks for the replies

I have mine hooked to a digital temp controller. I can dial in the temp as needed.

Brown bottles still block the light from fluorescents...but not green bottles. That's why Heinekin has such a rep for being a skunky beer. its not bad when its fresh and not light damaged.

Brown bottles don't block ALL of the light...sunlight or fluorescent. It depends on the intensity. If you check out this pdf (http://c2.libsyn.com/media/18257/bbrskunking.pdf?nvb=20100310123425&nva=20100311124425&t=0fb289a47cf608d34def7) and scroll to the last page it breaks things down nicely.

So yes, fluorescent light is bad especially in a clear carboy. I take my dark brewing towels and drape them over the carboy just to make sure.

Geez, you guys are worried about keeping them warm, and we are worried about keeping them cool!

Might have to stop brewing until fall or get a keezer. To expensive to keep house at 70 here in Florida. Recommended indoor temp is 78, by all the utility companies. At 70 I would have a $400 electric bill.

Geez, you guys are worried about keeping them warm, and we are worried about keeping them cool!

Might have to stop brewing until fall or get a keezer. To expensive to keep house at 70 here in Florida. Recommended indoor temp is 78, by all the utility companies. At 70 I would have a $400 electric bill.

If you can foot out the couple of hundred dollars for to build a fermentation chamber and have the space I would HIGHLY recommend it :).

Back