flour wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Descender

Reaction score
After making sourdough for awhile, I was wondering if a flour/water mixture could be fermented into a wine (beer). Any thoughts?

I've seen wheat wine recipes but have never tried it. Most flour is ground wheat I'd start with that over trying to use actual powder flour. That is guessing you're not using some oddball flour. If that's the case start from the source.

I'm guessing your referring to a wheat wine?

I think the resulting wine would be super hazy, but I"m not sure.

Just wondering about the science on it. From my limited experience with rice wine, it seemed as if you need something to break down the starch into sugar. My wine yeast "sourdough " started making booze almost immediately. Is there no need for saccarification?

I think, again not really sure, that the ones who make wheat wine, buy amylase enzyme to convert. How it is lautered or made to be clear I do not know.

Heat some flour and butter into a light roux. Add sugar and water and then yeast. BAM... Gumbo wine..

I made wheat wine a couple of years ago. I haven't tried it yet but maybe it is about time.

estricklin said:
How did you lauter it?
I followed the wheat wine recipe on the jack Keller website. I recall it had a lot more sediment than I thought it would have.

Back