Flour Mill Recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Considering home milling, and it's been made clear any idiotic hope I'd had of using my grist mill for flour is destined for failure.

So, as I'm not familiar with the various makes and approaches, wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I do know of a KA attachment way, but think I'd prefer a standalone mill of some kind. Won't be getting into any more than wheat and rye, I suspect.

Considering home milling, and it's been made clear any idiotic hope I'd had of using my grist mill for flour is destined for failure.

So, as I'm not familiar with the various makes and approaches, wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I do know of a KA attachment way, but think I'd prefer a standalone mill of some kind. Won't be getting into any more than wheat and rye, I suspect.
I've been looking as well. First, let me say I do have a KA attachment, and it cannot produce a good, fine flour. So you are well advised to avoid it.

I have seen other people's Komo mills in action, and they are excellent. They can produce very fine flour, and also have options like a flaker. I like everything but the price. They are stand alone units.

I'm leaning towards the MockMill right now. It uses essentially the same ceramic burrs and mechanism as the Komo (the same designer developed it,) but it is an attachment for the KA or other stand mixers. It seems to have a well designed chute to deliver the flour to the bowl, and not having its own motor helps bring the price down.

I've been using a WonderMill for many years now to make bean flour, haven't really used it for wheat or rye, (maybe once), but it does a good job of making flour out of pinto, lentil, small red, split peas and stuff like that....

If you like split pea soup, split pea flour makes a great instant soup, just stir 3 oz's of flour into some ham broth, boil to thicken, then melt some cheddar into it....

I've been looking as well. First, let me say I do have a KA attachment, and it cannot produce a good, fine flour. So you are well advised to avoid it.

I have seen other people's Komo mills in action, and they are excellent. They can produce very fine flour, and also have options like a flaker. I like everything but the price. They are stand alone units.

I'm leaning towards the MockMill right now. It uses essentially the same ceramic burrs and mechanism as the Komo (the same designer developed it,) but it is an attachment for the KA or other stand mixers. It seems to have a well designed chute to deliver the flour to the bowl, and not having its own motor helps bring the price down.

Thanks for the info, Robert. I'm considering an Ankarsrum so am on Pleasant Hill's site quite a bit and funny you mention the MockMill, just had it up. Agreed, the Komo's look nice but....gulp! I haven't gone in deep as the price would get me in a culvert somewhere, wife didn't do it or anything, but what is it? Guts, engineering? Why so expensive?

Also, along the same lines, I think my neighbor up the street has the Country Living hand-crank mill. I love these styles, but again, really expensive.

On mixers - wish I could justify a Famag. Those look really nice. $$$!

I wonder if a high-power food processor could do it. I have the biggest cuisinart and it chews through all sorts of stuff for me (meat!).

The advantage here is that you could use it for so much more.

Thanks Andy -

Yeah, I've had good luck over many years using ours and agreed, the thing is a tank. Haven't used it in a long time to make bread dough but it's my go to for pulling together pizza dough in short order.

Not active in awhile, I think, and it's in French but she's American and she translates here and there. Quite a baker, it seems. She uses a cuisinart.

I would recommend the Lee flour mill. They have been around for a long time but were something of a sideline for the company that made them. recently some one took over and made a new version of it that looks great but is expensive. If you can find a good older S-600 grab it. (ebay or craigslist) Just make sure it has the feed hopper and flour bag unless you are ready to improvise something

I would recommend the Lee flour mill. They have been around for a long time but were something of a sideline for the company that made them. recently some one took over and made a new version of it that looks great but is expensive. If you can find a good older S-600 grab it. (ebay or craigslist) Just make sure it has the feed hopper and flour bag unless you are ready to improvise something

Great, thanks. Had never run across it until now, checking the site out.

We have a Corona mill which DH has set up to be run by the Kitchenaid stand mixer. You could use a variable speed drill, but we had a spare KA that we inherited so that's what he decided to use. Works like a champ!

Just a matter of a shaft between the mill and the KA drive - pretty inexpensive setup since we already owned the KA anyway.

Back