Florida Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keg

Reaction score
Just checking in. My name is TJ; I live in Lake Mary, FL... just 20-30 minutes north or Orlando. I've been interested in home brewing for a while and am just now getting started; been drinking much longer, longer than I legally should anyway.

I've been lurking for a while and joined either yesterday or the day before. Between the Marine Corps and Police Academy eating up my free time, I've been too busy to do much more than print out topics and take them to the academy for some good reading; but life is settling down a bit.

I was going to walk the beaten' path and grab a Mr. Beer to get me started, then grab the real equipment... but I'm an ambitious person and like to jump straight to the point. Not to mention I'd rather buy real equipment and drop the money I would have spent on a few pieces of plastic (which I'd only once or twice) on a supporting a community that I can learn MUCH more from anyway.

Nice to meet you guys, my wife promised me a trip to whatever LHBS we can find close to our residence this weekend... needless to say I'll be around.

I second the motion on Hearts. They are on Edgewater drive, just off I4, in Orlando. You can find more info on their web site http://www.heartshomebrew.com .

They are great guys - it's where I bought all my equipment and supplies until I left the area a few years ago.

In addition, they have a great selection of hard to find beers in the cooler. I started my love affair with Lambic's after a trip there about 10 years ago.

Cheers,
Paul

Thanks for the recommendations; Hearts is where I was leaning torwards anyway and you guys tipped me over the fence. How is brewing in FL's humidity and heat? Does it even make a difference?

You have to take extra steps to get the fermenters down to desirable fermentation temps. A swamp chiller is probably the cheapest, followed by the son of fermentation chamber. I've converted a freezerless stand up fridge for mine (does 20 gal). Other than that it is all the same.

Thanks for the recommendations; Hearts is where I was leaning towards anyway and you guys tipped me over the fence. How is brewing in FL's humidity and heat? Does it even make a difference?

Biggest problem I had was getting the wort chilled below 80F very quickly since that was the temperature of my tap water in the summer. In the winter I just sat the pot on the top step in the pool to chill it. You will want to invest in a old fridge and a temperature control eventually so that you can get the primary a little cooler or make some Lager as well.

I think the humidity makes the beer better since you're probably going to drink more while you're making it.

Say high to Luke (red hair) at Hearts if you happen to see him and do spend some time scoping the beer in the cooler.

Paul

Welcome, Apopka checking in.

Note on Hearts...

Order ahead, and don't expect to sit around and shoot the breaze with them.
They are an internet buisness, that happens to have a local pick up spot.
Good prices, and really convenient though.

I am in Lake Mary also and just getting back into brewing after a 4 or 5 year layoff. Still doing extract brewing, but will move to AG probably after I get a couple successful brews under my belt. I'll probably be brewing the first week of August. If you want to shoot me a message or email and we can partner up on a brew or bounce ideas.

Welcome, Apopka checking in.

Brewing with Lake Apopka water should be an excellent alternative for people who want a sex change operation but can't afford the surgery ;) Great business opportunity right there!

Latest posts

Back