Floor-Malted Bohemian Pilsner Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnyo1977

Reaction score
I would like to know how to get the information for this malt to add to BeerSmith. I can't find the color or the potential sg.
thanks for you help.:mug:

here it is incase someone else wants to add it
Czech-grown two-row spring Barley
Weyermann

Yield: 79.00 %
Type: Grain
Potential: 1.036
Color: 3.0
Coarse Fine Diff: 1.50 % Max In Batch: 100.00 %
Moisture: 5.50 Must Mash: FALSE
Diastatic Power: 120.0 Protein: 11.70
Inventory: 0.0 oz
IBU: 0.000
Notes: Traditional, Authentic floor malt produced in Czech. Republic accoding to highest Weyermann quality standards.

Assuming you're using SRM/°L, the color might be a bit off. I've not really used Weyermann much and haven't seen "Wort Color" vs. "Boiled Wort Color". Most just list one color figure. So, I don't which one Beersmith wants. It could be that Beersmith adds color based on your boil time... in which case it would be better to use the "Wort Color" figure, which would be 2.0 (1.95) SRM for the average of that year. That seems more like a German pilsner malt. My BestMalz pilsner malt is 1.8 SRM.

I use 2.0 for the color and have been using 1.037 for the potential (I use 1.037 for Weyermann regular Pils malt too). I've got about 15# left out of a full 55# sack. The color seems right @ 2...maybe I've been getting even better efficiency than I thought.

here it is incase someone else wants to add it
Czech-grown two-row spring Barley
Weyermann

Yield: 79.00 %
Type: Grain
Potential: 1.036
Color: 3.0
Coarse Fine Diff: 1.50 % Max In Batch: 100.00 %
Moisture: 5.50 Must Mash: FALSE
Diastatic Power: 120.0 Protein: 11.70
Inventory: 0.0 oz
IBU: 0.000
Notes: Traditional, Authentic floor malt produced in Czech. Republic accoding to highest Weyermann quality standards.
Thank you VERY Much, I've been searching all over for this specific info, I've been combing through http://www.brewunited.com/grain_database.php
and I must be blind, but I can't find Bohemian, or Czech pilsner malt.
I'm brewing a rye bier tomorrow, and was making up my recipe, was trying to figure out how to mash the rye (as I've heard the "cement" horror stories, stumbled on some interesting topics and realized that I bought 2KG of Roggen Caramalt with 0 Diastatic power, started looking at my other "leftover" grains and see none of them have any DP, so I've got 2 Kg of this 2 row Bohemian and I need to Estimate the Diastatic Power for my Mash.
Lintner_for_batch = Σ(lintner_for_grain * weight_of_grain) / (total_batch_grain_weight)
I hope I get up to 36 average.
Just in case anyone is wondering what I'm gonna do with this rye, I was gonna start it in a separate pot at 36C and hold it for 30-40 minutes then raise the temp slowly to 60C, then transfer it over when I strike the other grains, and use my homemade HERMS to step mash. But it's not going to make a difference I think, since the rye I have has no DP.
Thanks again.

Back