floating thermometer sunk/melted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RavenChief

Reaction score
Ok, I have been brewing for a while but this is a first for me. I left my floating thermometer in my wort while boiling. I don't usually do this but I just forgot to take it out. Anyway the heavy-end plastic melted and the shot fell out into my wort and the whole thing filled up with wort. I know that this stuff is susposed to be non toxic but there was also some red stuff liquid that was also in the wort... This therometer was rated for 110 C. What the fuge!

most aren't meant for boiling temps other than a quick test.

the red stuff was wax or alcohol depending if it was weight material or the therm itself. boiling sugar is higher than 110C
You mash/sparge/steep with them, not boil them for an hour.

Ok, I have been brewing for a while but this is a first for me. I left my floating thermometer in my wort while boiling. I don't usually do this but I just forgot to take it out. Anyway the heavy-end plastic melted and the shot fell out into my wort and the whole thing filled up with wort. I know that this stuff is susposed to be non toxic but there was also some red stuff liquid that was also in the wort... This therometer was rated for 110 C. What the fuge!

thats why i use the metal ones.

Latest posts

Back