floating dip tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, the Cask Widge, yes indeed...
Cask Widge Floats for Fermenting and Serving Using Corny Kegs

Unfortunately still super hard to come by. However, the Top Draw for William's appears to be a great replacement... https://www.homebrewfinds.com/2019/09/the-top-draw-pick-up-tube-back-in-stock.html

IMG00112-20110307-1830-300x225.jpg

I bought some SS floats on eBay this spring, but they didn't arrive. I've tried to get the seller to track the shipment, to no avail. Obviously I'm not going to recommend them.

I bought some SS floats on eBay this spring, but they didn't arrive. I've tried to get the seller to track the shipment, to no avail. Obviously I'm not going to recommend them.
eBay
is unstable because of the Tariffs- shipping times are longer and I had a few orders that never got delivered. I was able to get my money back from eBay but still, it's a pain.

Yeah, Morebeer just started selling these within the last week or so. I had a few delivered today, and my initial inspection is very positive.
Does it fit a regular corny keg? I was about to pull the trigger but I dont know if there's something special about torpedoes that would make it suitable only for those kegs

Does it fit a regular corny keg? I was about to pull the trigger but I dont know if there's something special about torpedoes that would make it suitable only for those kegs

I wondered that myself, but I grabbed one anyway. Couldn't see anything from the description that indicated it was only for Torpedos. I'll update next week when I get it.

"Installs on any Ball Lock or Pin Lock keg quickly and easily"

Yeah, it fits well. I assumed 'Torpedo' was the name of the device rather than being for a torpedo keg. I initially put it in an empty keg to make sure it hit the bottom, and it did. As soon as I installed it on the 3/4 full keg, the ball floated and the diptube submerged.

I got mine from here:

https://ballandkeg.com/balls-up-floating-dip-tube.php

They work the same I would imagine and a couple bucks cheaper.
I ordered these this week and just installed the first one on a keg I was filling. I had to trim my liquid dip tube down to 3". They give you a couple extra inches of tubing so I trimmed that off so it was dead center on the bottom of my keg. I'm assuming they want to give you some adjustability. You can also adjust the depth of the liquid inlet by removing rings in the chain. I didn't do that, but it is an option. The first few pours last night were just fine, no issues thus far. Looking forward to adding them to my fermenting kegs. I'm hoping I can ferment and drink from the same keg for my IPA's.

I ordered these this week and just installed the first one on a keg I was filling. I had to trim my liquid dip tube down to 3". They give you a couple extra inches of tubing so I trimmed that off so it was dead center on the bottom of my keg. I'm assuming they want to give you some adjustability. You can also adjust the depth of the liquid inlet by removing rings in the chain. I didn't do that, but it is an option. The first few pours last night were just fine, no issues thus far. Looking forward to adding them to my ferment

I have been using the Ballandkeg floating dip tubes for fermenting and serving from the same keg. I've done it a few times now with IPA's. I will say that I don't dry hop loose, I use a hop canister and suspend it from the lid so it hangs into the liquid a few inches. I do this so my hops don't sit in the liquid the whole time.

Back