Flip-top bottles question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macs

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Lately I've been having trouble bottle carbonating my beer. The last three batches have barely carbonated even though I followed the exact procedure as before that has worked perfectly many times. I'm beginning to think that maybe the rubber gaskets on the bottles are leaking. Has anyone had a problem with those gaskets leaking? How often do they need to be changed out? Thanks.

I haven't had a carbonation problem with my grolsch bottles. I know some guys change them every 4 brews. I just change them when they no longer seem to make a good seal. You can buy themin packs of 100 on ebay for pretty cheap.

Do you have more than 4 brews on them? I definately do. Maybe around 10 brews so far. Maybe I should change them out just to be safe?

slap something already carb'd in them, like soda, and use it to test the seal on your bottles.

I change the seals on my swing tops seals when they start to crack and get dried out...lot longer than 4 brews.

Just curious, what brand of flip-top bottles are you using?

I have some Grolsch and Schwelmer bottles that I have never had a problem with. I also have some generic ones that I picked up a my LBS that don't seal consistently.

The brand I have is called "EZ Cap". They appear to be well made. I also have used them for bottle carbonating Ciders and again, the last two batches failed to carbonate properly with the amount of priming sugar that I use which is usually 5 ounces for a 5 gallon batch. The temperatures for fermentation and conditioning are the same as usual too. It's really bugging me because I am doing everything the same as always. I even keep a note book of all my brews just so I can repeat them.

ChemBrew said:

I have some Grolsch and Schwelmer bottles that I have never had a problem with. I also have some generic ones that I picked up a my LBS that don't seal consistently.

I also had trouble with ones from my lhbs. I picked up 12 of them once because I was a few bottles short and figured if I was going ot pay for bottles get the good ones. Well 3 out of the 12 didn't seal at all and the beer was completely flat. I have never used them again and probably won't unless I"m completely out and they are all I have. I"m not a fan of swingtops probably simply because of that.

macs said:
The brand I have is called "EZ Cap". They appear to be well made. I also have used them for bottle carbonating Ciders and again, the last two batches failed to carbonate properly with the amount of priming sugar that I use which is usually 5 ounces for a 5 gallon batch. The temperatures for fermentation and conditioning are the same as usual too. It's really bugging me because I am doing everything the same as always. I even keep a note book of all my brews just so I can repeat them.

I also have a very large collection of flip-tops of the EZ Cap brand. I too have had issues with failure to carbonate and when that happens, I adjust that cage that keeps the cap on the bottle in a way that the seal is further tightened. That technique seems to work for me. I replace the gaskets only when they start to look dry and cracking. My home brew shop sells them for 10c each.

Next time, take a balloon and put it over the neck of a few bottles. Any leaking gas will inflate the balloons...at least enough to let you know that gas is escaping.

You could probably even do it with some of your current problem bottles, assuming the sugar hasn't been completely depleted.

BierMuncher said:
Next time, take a balloon and put it over the neck of a few bottles. Any leaking gas will inflate the balloons...at least enough to let you know that gas is escaping.

You could probably even do it with some of your current problem bottles, assuming the sugar hasn't been completely depleted.

That's an excellent test BierMuncher! I'll try that at some point. I just methodically change mine out each year. My kids drink up most of my beer, and i use this type of closure on the bottles i give them. They think they are "cool".........:)

ChemBrew said:

Ezcaps, fischers and some other generic ones. I inherited them from a retiring homebrewer about 5 years ago. I will say that the cages on all of them are very beefy and really clamp down tight.

Papillon said:
I also have a very large collection of flip-tops of the EZ Cap brand. I too have had issues with failure to carbonate and when that happens, I adjust that cage that keeps the cap on the bottle in a way that the seal is further tightened. That technique seems to work for me. I replace the gaskets only when they start to look dry and cracking. My home brew shop sells them for 10c each.
When you adjusted the wire cages, were they feeling loose when you clamped them down? Mine seem to clamp just as tight as when they were new.

BierMuncher said:

Cool, I like that idea! I think I'll go out and buy some balloons. Thanks for the excellent idea!

I replace mine every time. i know t is not necessary but I rarely bottle and the gaskets are cheap. I get afraid of contamination otherwise.

Latest posts

Back