Flavoring Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingRugger

Reaction score
I am planning to make a Vanilla Baltic Porter. I am just not sure how I am going to flavor it. I have had an idea to put pure vanilla extract in the last few minutes of the boil, but not sure how much to use and how long to boil. I have also thought about using vanilla beans in the secondary, but again not sure of how many beans to use. Any suggestions for a fellow homebrewer?

From what have heard, If you are going to use the vanilla extract, you can add it in the secondary. Take a sample of your beer and add the extract in measured amounts until you hit your flavor target. Scale up for the full batch volume.

As long as you have real extract (high alcohol) you're safe to add in secondary or end of primary, but I think most folks prefer secondary.

You can also do whole vanilla beans sliced up and add after primary fermentation is done. Last time my co-worker did it, 2 beans added nothing, and 8 was too much if I recall correctly. I think he was going to shoot for 5 this year.

Some folks soak the beans in bourbon with smoked wood chips for a week before adding, unsure if they add the bourbon or just the bean + woodchips.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back