Flat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

das55

Reaction score
I just brewed a 90 minute IPA clone. Everything seemed to work okay, and the OG was 1.093, FG was 1.021...so a pretty high ABV beer.

I bottled it after adding some sugar about a week ago. Thought I would try an early taste today and there was zero carbination after I opened it.

Should I just be patient and wait another week or two, or perhaps open each bottle and add a litte yeast to each bottle?

Still new at this so any advice appreciated. Thanks.

leave the beer for another 2 weeks minimum. then try another one. if its not carbed enough wait another week and repeat.

That's the downside about brewing a strong IPA, gotta wait, ha. don't open the bottles and add more yeast or sugar, you're likely to blow up the bottles!! Just make sure they're carbonating in a warm area, not in a cold basement or it will take even longer! good luck

I just brewed a 90 minute IPA clone. Everything seemed to work okay, and the OG was 1.093, FG was 1.021...so a pretty high ABV beer.

I bottled it after adding some sugar about a week ago. Thought I would try an early taste today and there was zero carbination after I opened it.

Should I just be patient and wait another week or two, or perhaps open each bottle and add a litte yeast to each bottle?

Still new at this so any advice appreciated. Thanks.

The three most important rules to homebrewing are, "temperature, temperature and temperature", in that order. Get those bottles warmed up and give it another couple of weeks. They'll carbonate.

Yeasties are probably choking on the ABV content anyway and are slow to get back to work. Yes, it takes time.

Also, the bigger the bottle the longer it takes to carb. I've had 22 ounce bottles take a month or two before they carbonated properly.

If you want to speed things up, get the beer into the 70's (mid 70's) and once every few days swirl them to get any yeast sediment back into suspension. Do it for a week or so and it'll help.

Back