Flat Beer after 2 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naughtyco

Reaction score
I bottled my Austin Homebrew Nut Brown two weeks ago.

When bottling, I added NOT EVEN a 1/4 ounce of hazelnut extract w/ my priming sugar. (side note: I posted a question if I should have added it before I did and no one provided any hints or tips...which, now that I think about it, pretty much sucks.)

I hit OG and FG spot on that came with the directions. The beer is very clear (not completely) and there is no yeast on the bottom of each bottle (I think I siphon well).

At 1 week in, I opened a bottle to test. Weakest "pffst" I've ever heard from a bottle. Week 2 was just as sad but even harder to hear because it is completely demoralizing to think I have 47 bottles of beer that are flat.

I just ordered some Mutton carb tabs and plan to open each bottle, add 1 or 2 tabs, and recap quickly....

Unless someone else has a good idea. I don't have a keg, so that's out of the question.

Please and thank you for the advice......

Back away from the bottles :)

We could probably pinpoint the problem if you give a few more details, but the answer is going to be "give it more time."

What's the temp where the bottles are? If it's in the 60s, see if you can find a place a little warmer for them to sit.

They are at 68-70 temp.

I will give it more time. I just read a thread that someone had an Amber that didn't carb for 5 weeks. He let it sit for another three and he finally heard "the hiss".

I just wanted to verify that the Mutton carbs would be an ok option if I revert back to my impatient-I-just-spend-3.00-on-carb-tabs-to-get-my-beer-to-stop-tasting-like-flat-Hazelnut-Coca-Cola...

There is soo much info in this forum on this issue. Just do a quick search. There is probably a post or two a day. Reevy's answer to this issue is the most detailed.

70 degree room (area) & 3 weeks of waiting is the rule of thumb. Yes, beers can carb sooner than that. Others can take longer - much longer. 1st thing to do: Make sure the room is in the 65-70 degree range. A way to test: put a mason jar of water in the room, temp it morning & night. If you're room isn't warm enough it will take much longer to carb. It WILL carb, but will take longer. If the room isn't 65-70, make it warmer or move it where its warmer. OR, leave it there, but it will take longer.

are you sure you added priming sugar?

I wouldn't add the carb tabs yet, I'd wait another 2 weeks to see what happens. Adding the carb tabs now could result in bottle bombs later.

Everything will work out, just wait a while longer. Waiting will probably make your better taste better as well.

On the hazelnut thing, maybe no one here has experience with that kit - I couldn't have offered any help. Don't suspect it as playing an issue with your carbonation - the hazelnut extract won't have any impact on the priming sugar/carb thing.

If you don't have any real sediment in the bottle you can assume it's not carbonated. Once the priming sugar is consumed you'll get a dusting regardless of how well you siphoned. Try putting a couple in a warmer area and see if you can accelerate the process. Once you get yeast dropping out you're on your way.

I just wanted to verify that the Mutton carbs would be an ok option if I revert back to my impatient-I-just-spend-3.00-on-carb-tabs-to-get-my-beer-to-stop-tasting-like-flat-Hazelnut-Coca-Cola...

If the yeast are taking too long to eat sugar, giving them more sugar is definitely not the answer. This would likely slow the process, then eventually overcarbonate the beer, by a lot.

If after 6 weeks you seem to have nothing, come on back and I am sure we can help.

I went home last night put a flashlight to the bottom. There is a very fine layer of sediment on the bottom of each.

I took each bottle and rolled them on the ground a few times to mix them up. I could see the "dust" on the bottom float around and spin so there's SOMETHING is in there. I guess I'll just wait longer and get started on that NB Face-Puncher kit.

(voice of fish from Finding Nemo):

"Bubbles! BubblesBubblesBubbles!"

Finally. Carbonation.

Take it from a worried noob who bought carb tabs for nothing: Let the **** sit!

Patience is a virtue. Heed the words of the wise: 3 WEEKS @ 70!!!!

Thank you for all who gave me your time and patience in this time of uncertantity when I should have just chilled the hell out and had a homebrew...

I'm glad i found this thread. I was very bummed that my beer is completely flat after almost 2 weeks. I feel better now.

Many thanks, same boat different water..and waiting it out.
Bonus: The longer you "have" to wait for carb, the better the beer should taste!

I know its already been said but +1 on the waiting, I had a Red Ale that barely carbed after 3 weeks so I put about 3 dozen in my dad's basement and forgot about it. about 6 weeks later I stumbled onto it and to my surprise it's probably one of the best beers I've made to date.

Back