Oatmeal Stout Flapjack Breakfast Stout (Chocolate-Coffee-Oatmeal-Maple Imperial Stout)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing this tomorrow. Searched for an IBU range just for reference with only one member saying they got 43 from their software. I plan on being around 50. Any input would be appreciated.

Brewing this tomorrow. Searched for an IBU range just for reference with only one member saying they got 43 from their software. I plan on being around 50. Any input would be appreciated.
Nice! I'm fermenting a spin-off right now! Oatmeal stouts are 25-40 IBU usually, you don't want to approach the IPA territory when the focus is on the chocolate malts and maple syrup. IBUs can be nice, but I've been leaning towards less and less every iteration of this.

Nice! I'm fermenting a spin-off right now! Oatmeal stouts are 25-40 IBU usually, you don't want to approach the IPA territory when the focus is on the chocolate malts and maple syrup. IBUs can be nice, but I've been leaning towards less and less every iteration of this.
True. I figure with a gravity of 1.090, 50 ibu wouldnt be too bitter. I targeted around 50 and it's in the fermenter, starting to bubble away!

My russian imperial comes out to about 90 ibu with my software, and its not bitter at all. Thanks for the input. So what did you switch up in your brew????

I brewed this a few weeks ago and just getting around to posting about it. I used essentially the original recipe, but I had one pretty big oops in the process. I cold crashed the beer before transferring. I use a chest freezer with an ink bird and the temp probe fell out and I didn't notice. After what I thought was a good 48 hour cold crash I opened the freezer to find a 5 gallon beer popsicle. I read up a little on the affects on frozen beer and most advice said it wouldn't matter but I'm wondering if it made a difference. Note I let the beer thaw out naturally so stuff like the last coffee addition was in the beer for several days longer than planned, but in a frozen or slushy state.

From a flavor standpoint the beer is good, but not what I expected. It's basically a straight coffee stout. Lots of coffee and roasty flavor, but no maple or vanilla. With the amount of maple or vanilla added that surprises me.

Is it possible that freezing the beer stripped out some flavors? Or since the beer was exposed to the coffee beans for several days more than planned did the extended steep create enough coffee flavor it overpowered everything else?

I'd like to do this one again soon and want to know if just try the same plan (without freezing) or adjust something else.

I find this beer needs a few months to mellow out. The coffee and roasted malts will calm down and blend more with the maple/vanilla. Although I never got a tone of maple from this beer. It is likely that the extended time on the coffee beans did increase the coffee presence. Just give it a couple months and it will be a different beer for the better. I still have a few bottles of this beer that I brewed a couple years ago and it is still enjoyable.

I find this beer needs a few months to mellow out. The coffee and roasted malts will calm down and blend more with the maple/vanilla. Although I never got a tone of maple from this beer. It is likely that the extended time on the coffee beans did increase the coffee presence. Just give it a couple months and it will be a different beer for the better. I still have a few bottles of this beer that I brewed a couple years ago and it is still enjoyable.
I should have mentioned in my post I brewed this one back in July. It definitely took a bit for it to get to the point it is now, but I'd say at this point it seems to be pretty stable. Stouts are an "every once in a while" type drink for me so I'll probably still have it around for a while, but also thinking ahead and wanting to give it another shot.

When I brewed mine I used grade A maple syrup. I feel that the maple syrup mostly fermented out. I have read that using grade B maple syrup has a more pronounced flavor. I would be inclined to use grade B next time or use maple extract. Because mine had barely any maple flavor or aroma from day 1 and lessened to "0" shortly there after.

I brewed this back in January. Has good flavor, sadly it barely carbed. No idea why i didnt pitch some extra yeast at bottling. Solid beer even half flat (especially with a cigar).

I brewed this a few weeks ago and just getting around to posting about it. I used essentially the original recipe, but I had one pretty big oops in the process. I cold crashed the beer before transferring. I use a chest freezer with an ink bird and the temp probe fell out and I didn't notice. After what I thought was a good 48 hour cold crash I opened the freezer to find a 5 gallon beer popsicle. I read up a little on the affects on frozen beer and most advice said it wouldn't matter but I'm wondering if it made a difference. Note I let the beer thaw out naturally so stuff like the last coffee addition was in the beer for several days longer than planned, but in a frozen or slushy state.

From a flavor standpoint the beer is good, but not what I expected. It's basically a straight coffee stout. Lots of coffee and roasty flavor, but no maple or vanilla. With the amount of maple or vanilla added that surprises me.

Is it possible that freezing the beer stripped out some flavors? Or since the beer was exposed to the coffee beans for several days more than planned did the extended steep create enough coffee flavor it overpowered everything else?

I'd like to do this one again soon and want to know if just try the same plan (without freezing) or adjust something else.

Coffee is a pretty powerful adjunct, it can easily overpower others, especially with contact time of more than 48 hours. On the good side though, intense levels of coffee will usually drop off to a more pleasant coffee flavors within a month or two, so just sit on this beer for a little while. Give it 3-4 months, and I'm sure you'll start seeing more vanilla and maple. Although maple is a very subtle flavor unless it doesn't get fermented out.

As a side note, a brewer I chat with swears by using fenugreek seed and makes a tincture with it. I haven't tried his beers, but he says they're pretty mapley. Anyone try this approach?

Back