Flaked rice, Minute Rice, and "Uncle Ben's"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I only have 14 ounces of Minute Rice, but today saw "Uncle Ben's Converted Rice" at the Dollar Store. It was $1.60 for two pounds, so I bought it.

I read the ingredients, and it says "parboiled rice". I've never used "parboiled rice" before. Is it pregelatinized like Minute Rice or flaked rice? Or should I do a cereal mash with it? Or cook it?

I have no idea!

I'm using it in a cream ale recipe.

I think it needs a cereal mash Yooper. I read up on it and it seems as if it is steamed before the husk is removed. It still requires a 20 minute prep time before serving so I am thinking it is not the same as instant or flaked rice :mad:

I think it needs a cereal mash Yooper. I read up on it and it seems as if it is steamed before the husk is removed. It still requires a 20 minute prep time before serving so I am thinking it is not the same as instant or flaked rice :mad:

That's what I was thinking, too. That the "converted" rice just isn't the same as flaked rice or Minute rice.

I probably should just do a cereal mash with the flaked corn as well, and three pounds of two-row. Just do it, and then not have to worry about it at all.

If this is an AG recipe I would put it in with the mash, no need to precook, just up your mash time.

I'm going with a 90 minute mash anyway- at 149 I want to ensure conversion and I could test with iodine but I probably won't. :drunk:

I'm still not sure about what exactly "Uncle Ben's" is, though!

Copied from wiseGEEK :

The vapor processing method of converting rice involves placing unhusked, whole grains of long-grain rice into water to soak. Following the soak, they are pressure steamed, which allows the flavors and water soluble nutrients from the husk and bran to enter the grain itself. After this treatment, the grains are dried, milled, and packaged for sale. The resulting beige rice has the flavor of white rice, and similarly becomes fluffy when cooked.

Awesome! And it was on sale at the Dollar Store, so it was perfect. But.....I did do a cereal mash I believe. :)

I’ve used Minute Rice right in the mash with no cereal mash, but with the Uncle Ben’s I am nearly sure I did a cereal mash.

Back