Fizzy Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlossMan

Reaction score
I opened a bottle of cabernet that I bottled over 3 months ago and it has some small bubbles in it. I decanted it and let it breathe for an hour and the bubbles dissipated. It tastes OK but I'm wondering if there's any problem with drinking it.

I wouldn't think so. Sounds like it just had some residual fermentables at bottling time and that's what most likely caused the slight carbonation of your wine. The only other thing I think that would cause it would be an infection but being as its been bottled for 3 months I'd expect if it was an infection it would be a lot more apparent and you'd have some sort of growth in the bottle and most likely would have either tasted of vinegar or very sour or would have either exploded the bottle or popped the cork or foamed heavily upon opening.

Actually I think it's a result of not adequately degassing it prior to bottling. I made this batch from a kit.

Back