fixing my aluminum HLT with a soldering gun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goat_power

Reaction score
So, my 32 qt turkey fryer has a pin-sized hole in the bottom of it that causes it to leak. Other than that, it is in decent shape. I was wondering if it would be a terrible idea to plug the hole with a glob of solder. I realize that a lot of solder has lead, but I've seen lead-free soldering wire.

I know that a new pot would run me $30 or so, but I'd sure like to salvage this one

you will have to use a torch to get it hot enough to actually accept solder. Then, whats the melting point? With the burner blazing on it, im not so sure it would hold.

PJ, what is the temperature of the surrounding aluminum when trying to heat it with a soldering iron?? Wont get hot enough to actually accept solder. It might melt the solder and glob on the surface, but I dont think you will get that gigantic kettle warm enough with an iron.... Its a giant heat sink.......

hey, thanks guys. Even if I do need to buy a torch, I will probably be spending less money than if I bought a new pot.

Are there perhaps other pinholes or weak areas on this pot? I would start looking for something on the cheap rather than spending money trying to fix it.

Back